Youth Program Officer
- Post Date:June 19, 2021
- Views 639
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
The Youth Program Officer will support AWF’s newly established Youth Leadership Program. The position will report to the Country Director and functionally (technically) to the Senior Manager Youth Leadership Program. The position will work closely with the Policy, Partnerships and Global Leadership teams. The Youth Program Officer will be responsible for supporting the country level implementation of the youth engagement strategy, program development, policy influencing, partnerships, documentation, and other administrative functions of the program.
Additionally, the Youth Program Officer will be responsible for ensuring effective coordination with other actors/stakeholders, monitoring and evaluation, and quality assurance of AWF’s Youth portfolio in Zimbabwe S/he will be responsible for contributing to program design and development; technical support to interventions; measurement, research and documentation; representation and partnership development, proposal and resource development; and training, mentoring and organizational learning for implementing youth program partners. This position will be based in Harare, Zimbabwe
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Program Development & Management
- In consultation with the Senior Manager, Youth Leadership Program and Country Director, develop a youth engagement plan that is aligned to the country strategy and the global youth strategy
- Coordinate all youth engagement planning and activities at AWF country office to ensure that they are consistent with the AWF youth engagement frameworks and quality standards.
- Support in the identification and profiling of potential youth groups / networks to partner with to deliver the youth engagement plan of the country office
- Support the identification and recognition of youth conservation champions.
- Support selection and awarding of youth fellowships and internship opportunities.
- Support mapping, assessment, coordination, establishment and capacity development of youth led conservation focused civil society organizations to ensure that vibrant youth networks are established and engaged with inclusion of rural marginalized youths.
- Facilitate synergies of the youth program with policy teams, and other programs/department within the country.
- Support the implementation of the Zimbabwe Country Conservation Strategy, programs and project(s) deliverables.
- Ensure that the Youth Program is implemented in ways responsive to communities, partners and other key stakeholders in line with AWF values and strategic plan and in compliance with AWF procedures
Budget Management and Resource Mobilization
- Contribute to appropriate country context program design and fundraising proposals.
- With guidance from Country Director and country Finance Officer, ensure that youth program budget for the country is managed according to set frameworks, workplans and AWF accounting procedures.
Partnership and Network Building
- Build partnerships that can support AWF’s Youth Programs.
- Ensure capacities of youth program relevant stakeholders at country and landscapes are built and engaged in advancing conservation.
- Develop youth engagement outcomes for each activity for the country.
- Facilitate external synergies/partnerships of the youth program.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders including Government line ministries to ensure the youth programs are implemented accordingly to set Government frameworks.
Measuring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- In alignment with AWF’s ME framework, lead, research and file country specific youth engagement activities that have been planned and document the relevance of AWF participation in the events.
- Work with the AWF M&E global team to ensure that MEAL tools are developed, rolled out and analyzed according to institutional metrics; indicators are tracked; and findings inform the Youth Programming.
- Coordinate with communications and the Knowledge management department teams so that most significant change stories are documented, filed and disseminated.
- Coordinate appointments, documents for signature/approval; monitor and follow up on issues and priorities; incoming correspondence and internal and external queries; draft and handle routine correspondence related to the youth program in the country.
- Coordinate participation of youth at AWF events.
- Set up and record all meetings with the external partners.
- Collect photos and or videos taken during youth events and uploading them on Box and Widen for public use with correct tags and captions.
- Perform ad hoc duties and other duties assigned by management.
Human rights are a guiding principle in the AWF Strategic Vision 2020-2030, embedded in our core principles and core values. AWF’s mission is to ensure that wildlife and wildlands thrive in modern Africa. AWF understands a modern Africa to be an Africa in which human rights are fulfilled and commits to respect, protect, and promote human rights at all times, irrespective of ethnic group, gender, race, sexual orientation, age, or class by adopting a rights-based conservation approach. The role holder will come in to contact with a wide range of stakeholders and will be required to demonstrate commitment to and a good understanding of AWF’s Rights Based Conservation approaches, values
- Degree in any field related to community development, social sciences and or any conservation related field.
- At least three-years working experience in conservation or youth program related field.
- Experience of, and commitment to, working through systems of community participation and accountability.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- A strong understanding of the Zimbabwe operational context.
- Computer skills including word, excel, PowerPoint, internet & social media.
- Proficiency in technical and report writing.
- Excellent digital storytelling, problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to collate and analyse a wide range of information to draw out key strategic messages and findings
- Aptitude in presentation and public speaking.
- Ability to plan and organize events.
- Ability to cultivate and build strong constructive working relationships within AWF and with other key constituents externally.
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote locations as may be needed
Deadline: 30 June 2021
Related Jobs (17)
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist on July 22, 2021 Full Time
Investigative Journalism Opportunities for Reporters and Mentors on July 22, 2021 Contract