Volunteer ASM and Large-Scale Mining Adviser
- Post Date:May 3, 2021
- Views 427
- Career Level OtherQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
A leading Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) with a solid interest and proven record on influencing good natural resource governance in Zimbabwe, regionally and internationally is looking for a Volunteer Artisanal and Small scale mining (ASM) and Large-Scale Mining Adviser, to help the organisation and its partners to innovatively design and implement mining programmes that respond to the technical needs of Artisanal, Small Scale (ASM) and Large-scale miners and other stakeholders. The Volunteer Adviser must be a mining engineer who understands ASM and large scale mining work and mining safety standards. By joining our organisation, the Volunteer Adviser will get exposure to our growing programme on ASM and large scale mining which entails networking with key stakeholders such as government ministries, government departments and/or agencies, legislators, industry, civil society, media, communities and artisanal and small scale miners. The following are the specific terms of reference:
Terms of Reference
- Review the ASM programme description paper to include large-scale mining operations and any new sector developments;
- Help ZELA design capacity building manuals on mining with a focus on sustainable and environmentally friendly mining technologies and techniques for improving ASM production methods, yields, and processing; alternative livelihoods; management of business and finances;
- Help the organisation design innovative and cutting-edge data tools, technologies and methods of helping ASM miners to become profitable and to adopt sustainable mining methods;
- Assist the organisation to conduct ASM and large-scale mine level site visits and talks on mine safety, mine design, mine development, ventilation, dewatering, marketing and trade of minerals among other technical aspects of mining;
- Assist the organisation in mapping of ASM and large-scale mining activities in selected areas, using modern technologies. This includes production of publishable materials on the same for online distribution;
- Assist the organisation in programming on safe use or elimination of the use of mercury in the ASM Sector;
- Help shape the ZELA ASM program for miners (including mining cooperatives) on formalization of their supply chains and developing relationships with suppliers;
- Help ZELA in compiling information and data for publication, production of situations reports and research papers on ASM and large-scale mining;
- Assist ZELA in establishing new partnerships and relationships with key actors and stakeholders in the ASM and large-scale mining sector;
- Help ZELA improve and upscale its database of ASM and large-scale miners in Zimbabwe;
- Generally, assist in training of miners on technical mining ASM issues, giving technical advice and support;
- Help the organisation in mining related research and advocacy activities for influencing policy, legislative and institutional developments in the country;
- The volunteer will be responsible for advising a team of lawyers, policy experts, management, and social scientists.
Professional qualifications and experience
The position requires someone with a Mining Engineering academic qualification, with at least 2 years working experience with ASM miners and large-scale miners. Our organisation believes in fair and equitable work opportunities for all. Therefore, we encourage women, youth and persons living with disabilities (PLWDs) to apply.
Interested candidates to email their expression of interest and CVs to [email protected] for consideration.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 14 May 2021