UHC/CN Team Lead - (2106277)
- Post Date:November 27, 2021
- Views 744
- Career Level OtherQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Health Care
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 years
Closing Date: Dec 10, 2021, 12:59:00 AM
Primary Location: Zimbabwe-Harare
Organization: AF_ZWE Zimbabwe
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Lead the UHC/CN team with a focus on overseeing the review and updating existing strategies and guidelines as appropriate, and recommending new initiatives from the Office. WHO country office covers all aspects of the programme focused on the investigation, surveillance and control of communicable and non- communicable diseases in the country. The UCN Team lead will coordinate all activities of the cluster namely those related to HIV, Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) TB, Malaria, Neglected Tropical Diseases and Non-communicable diseases. The incumbent builds and leads a competent and committed team in both the strategic and operational support of the Country in the respective field of public health. He/ She manages and enhances the team’s efforts with and across programmes in order to attain greater effectiveness of country-level work
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Ensures sound management through Strategic positioning (Regional/National work plans) Communicates, and gains the commitment of team members to, a clear view of the desired vision that is within the blueprint and agenda of WHO global and regional frameworks. Translates these directions into actionable strategies, and prioritizes goals and projects to effectively support country implementation of their health plans and policies. Promotes and drives cross-sectorial work with health officials and non-health partners. Builds a competent team by securing the best resources, allotting learning opportunities, and providing on-going coaching and feedback. Sets clear performance expectations, delegates effectively, and monitors and measures progress against objectives;
- Conducts Networking, capacity building, Fund raising, builds partnerships and plays a strong advocacy/communication role. Actively secures opportunities to build partnerships across an extensive network of contacts, including donor partners and national focal points. Presents technical briefings to ensure accurate and consistent delivery of corporate messages and WHO advice by team and programme staff;
- Stays abreast of key health concerns and utilizes knowledge and expertise to systematically analyses issues, overcome obstacles and make key decisions that result in the effective application of technical support to Member States. Takes a Leading role in initiatives as well as innovations around research, forecasting and clinical studies. Engages in strategic level dialogue to influence national policy, and ensures consistency of policy advice from the team and programme staff;
- Serve as the primary WHO Liaison with the Ministry of Health (MoH) and other partners in matters related to his/her domain, including HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) TB, Malaria, Neglected Tropical Diseases and Non-communicable diseases;
- Plans, organizes and coordinates the organization’s technical cooperation program in the Country in the area of Disease Prevention and Control;
- Participates in the formulation of policies, strategies, plans, objectives methodologies for program execution and evaluation, taking into account specific country needs and the goals / objectives that the Cluster and WCO aim to achieve;
- Provide technical and functional administrative guidance to the Head of WCO and assigned technical staff. Provides technical guidance to staff in the field. Provides inputs and reviews into the performance evaluations of all assigned staff.
- Coordinates and analyses the collection of technical and scientific knowledge related to their area of specialization and disseminates up to date knowledge and findings, including to the Regional Office, in order to meet the technical requirements of the region’s WHO Representatives, as well as to the appropriate national institutions and partners;
- Coordinate the programming and execution of the Unit’s activities along with those of other related areas of work in order to maximize resource utilization;
- Builds a competent team by securing the best resources, allotting learning opportunities, and providing on-going coaching and feedback. Sets clear performance expectations, delegates effectively, and monitors and measures progress against objectives;
- Essential: University degree in Medicine or public health or related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable: Advanced degree in medicine / public health / communicable diseases / Epidemiology.
- Essential: At least five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in disease management focusing on the areas of investigation, surveillance and control, as well as strategy formulation and action plans for the implementation of disease prevention programs.
- Professional experience in providing technical advice and services to national counterparts and other partners in addressing communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Desirable: Working experience with the WHO or other bilateral or multilateral organizations would be an asset
The incumbent must have the essential knowledge and skills specific to the position, including:
- In-depth knowledge of the country’s situation regarding communicable diseases; good understanding of the needs, priorities and policies of the country, as well as WHO policies, practices, guidelines and procedures in related areas and ability to apply them in the country office.
- Ability to identify problems, formulate arguments and opinions, formulate conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to review and revise policies and objectives of the program and assigned activities.
- Excellent knowledge of health and safety regulations and technical aspects of the specialty area.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Commitment to implement the goal of gender equality by ensuring equal participation and full participation of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Ability to lead and effectively manage a team;
- Ability to develop innovative approaches and solutions;
- Ability to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills by working well as a member of a team, adapting to educational, socio-political and cultural diversities
- Ability to maintain a high level of personal conduct.
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills
- Essential – Fluency in English
- Desirable – Knowledge of French or other UN language. Working knowledge of local languages (e.g. Swahili)
Related Jobs (19)
Assistant Project Officer (APO)-Services and Linkages on January 18, 2022 Contract
Data Entry Clerk – Bambanani x 1, Chitungwiza x 1 (Full time) on January 18, 2022 Full Time