Special Class Teacher
- Post Date:January 29, 2021
- Views 282
- Qualification CertificateExperience 5-10 YearsIndustry Education
Working location: Hermann Gmeiner Primary School, Waterfalls
Supervisor: School Principal
Established in 1949, SOS Children’s Villages International (CVI) is a dynamic, international social development organization working globally to meet the needs and protect the interests and rights of children without parental care and those who are at the risk of losing it.
SOS Children’s Villages Association of Zimbabwe is a member of SOS International – a worldwide child social welfare organisation, providing vulnerable children without homes with a family home and educational opportunities as well as strengthening families to reduce poverty. SOS Children’s Villages complements government efforts to provide children with access to quality education by supporting the education of orphaned, abandoned and vulnerable children. SOS Children’s Villages Zimbabwe provides kindergarten, primary and secondary education services in Matabeleland and Mashonaland Central provinces, through the Hermann Gmeiner group of schools
Purpose of the position
To provide special education students with learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfil their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth.
Duties & responsibilities
The Special Class Teacher will we responsible for:
- Assessing students’ abilities and craft teaching plans;
- Adapting learning materials to students’ needs;
- Keeping track of and reflect on students’ progress;
- Monitoring children’s behavioural patterns and arrange appropriate interventions if needed;
- Finding engaging activities to teach skills (e.g. drawing and theatre drama);
- Managing classroom crises and resolve conflict;
- Preparing students for transition to the next grade;
- Informing parents about their children’s performance and potential problems;
- Coaching / mentoring other professionals who work with children with disabilities;
- Collaborating with the support staff (e.g. school counsellors and speech therapists) to create holistic intervention plans.
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidates should have:
- 5 ‘O’ Levels including Maths and English;
- Valid state special education certificate;
- BSc in Special Education;
- MSc is a plus;
- 5 years’ experience in a similar position.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, please send your detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates. Applications should be submitted electronically indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line. E-mail: Applications including at least three traceable referees should be sent electronically to: [email protected]
SOS Children’s Villages Zimbabwe is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all eligible applicants to apply without any consideration to sex, cultural consideration, disability or creed.
Deadline: 5 February 2021