Southern Africa Regional Food Security Consultant
- Post Date:June 2, 2021
- Views 386
- Career Level ConsultantQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) Early Warning Team (EWT) seeks a regional food security (RFS) consultant to support our Southern Africa regional office up to 15 days per month from July to September 2021. This is a remote position supporting the FEWS NET EWT Southern Africa region. While candidates based in the Southern Africa region are preferred, as are candidates based in other countries where FEWS NET and/or Chemonics has an operational presence, candidates residing outside of the region may be considered based on their relevant experience and operational realities.
FEWS NET is an integrated set of activities funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and is intended to provide timely, accurate, evidence-based, and transparent food security early warning information and analysis. More information about FEWS NET can be found online at www.fews.net. Chemonics International (Chemonics) implements the FEWS NET Early Warning Team (EWT), a team charged with integrated emergency food insecurity analysis through a Washington-based technical office and more than 20 field offices. More information about Chemonics can be found at www.chemonics.com.
The Southern Africa RFS consultant assists the RR in providing quality control of project deliverables from the regional and national offices as assigned and helps to ensure that activities and products for the region are high quality and delivered in a timely manner. The Southern Africa RFS consultant will direct the majority of their support to the French- and/or Portuguese-speaking project offices in the region.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and French is required; proficiency in Portuguese and other local language skills relevant to the region are desirable;
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET, such as economics, agricultural economics, agronomy, nutrition, climatology, anthropology, or social geography is required; advanced university degree (Master’s degree or higher) is desirable;
- At least two years of relevant experience (with PhD), four years of relevant experience (with Master’s degree), or six years of relevant experience (with Bachelor’s degree) is required. Relevant experience includes working on food security information systems, food security analysis, early warning, or other related fields; experience working with UN agencies and/or NGOs is desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively conduct food security assessments in the Southern Africa region, focus group discussions, and key informant interviews and to analyze data from relevant sectors using both qualitative and quantitative methods is required;
This is a remote position supporting the FEWS NET EWT Southern Africa region. While candidates based in the Southern Africa region are preferred, as are candidates based in other countries where FEWS NET and/or Chemonics has an operational presence, candidates residing outside of the region may be considered based on their relevant experience and operational realities.
The RFS consultant position will remain open for applications through June 4th, 2021. A full scope of work for this position can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies.
All application materials, including responses to the general information form, CVs, and cover letters, should be provided in English. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For applicants located in the EU, please see Chemonics Data Privacy Notice linked here: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/
Related Jobs (28)
Assistant Social Services and Recreation Officer on August 3, 2021
Executive Officer Human Resources and Administration (Grade 10) on August 3, 2021 Full Time
Citizen Engagement and Partnerships (CEP) Specialist on August 3, 2021 Contract