Senior Technical Advisor
- Post Date:August 16, 2021
- Views 420
- Career Level OtherQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 10-15 Years
- Industry Health Care
Job ID: 2021-3405
Based in Harare, Zimbabwe
10-25% international travel
Reports to HIV/SRHR Global Technical Designate with administrative support from Africa Regional Representative
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PSI has established a new branch office in Zimbabwe after supporting the 23 year old PSI/Zimbabwe Trust – now renamed Population Solutions for Health – to deconsolidate and achieve full financial and operational independence as a deeply rooted Zimbabwean local entity. The new PSI branch office will remain with prime award responsibility across multiple existing funding streams with PEPFAR/USAID, the BMGF and the Embassy of Sweden through to the completion of those investments, with PSH moving into an independent subpartner role. While PSH will lead implementation in Zimbabwe, PSI has an essential strategic and technical role to play in providing light touch TA to the mixed health system in the areas of insight gathering and application for improved programming, digital health and monitoring, and adaptive implementation and learning, including support for world class documentation and dissemination of the lessons learned, best practices, approaches and tools developed through existing programming in Zimbabwe to catalyze communities of practice in Zimbabwe and beyond. In addition, PSI has a role to play in implementation areas unique to the international organization, such as independent fundholding under results based financing approaches and safe abortion advocacy, education and communications. The high capacity, deeply rooted PSI – PSH partnership has tremendous potential to deliver together on the vision of consumer powered health care and the global network strategy for shaping mixed health systems, shifting policy and funding, and strengthening capacity within the two entities and within the Zimbabwe mixed health system and beyond.
PSI seeks a Senior Technical Advisor to lead the PSI branch office in Zimbabwe in strategy development and implementation, provision of light touch technical assistance in a two-way capacity exchange with other network members operating in Zimbabwe, maintenance of prime award and first and second-tier subaward compliance on current and future funding streams, and in leading strategic implementation areas which are unique to the PSI branch office in Zimbabwe. This position will support the adaptive implementation and learning, digital health and monitoring and HIV/SRHR network member technical teams in Zimbabwe, including facilitating the implementation of technical activities in line with PSI and global best practices and harnessing PSI global technical capacity across functional areas to support in-country implementation and capacity strengthening. S/he will facilitate the design of technical activities and the strategy for network members in Zimbabwe, including overseeing internal two-way capacity building efforts within Zimbabwe and with the broader PSI network. This Sr. TA is an internal and external thought leader and renowned expert in their field.
Platform and Program Management:
- Lead operational planning, workplanning and implementation of those workplans according to annual operating budget and funded implementation and technical workstreams for PSI branch office-led work in Zimbabwe.
- Oversee annual operating budget development and compliant implementation, prime award and first- and second-tier subaward compliance in close partnership with PSI global program management, grants and contracts and field finance support teams, and with other network members operating in Zimbabwe.
- Oversee adaptation of PSI policies and procedures to the Zimbabwe PSI branch office context and ensure compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements. 25% of the time.
Adaptive Implementation and Learning:
- As a high level subject matter expert, support in-country programs to design and implement a thoughtful adaptive implementation and learning agenda, analyzing evidence to determine best practices, supporting adaptive implementation accordingly, and sharing technical knowledge and expertise, best practices, and approaches to influence the broader community of practice in HIV programming in Zimbabwe and beyond.
- Drive the utilization of evidence-based tools and innovations to improve the PSI network’s performance and reputation in HIV and SRHR programming. 25% of the time.
- Lead PSI strategy development and implementation in Zimbabwe and support the strategic direction and technical strengthening of other network members operating in Zimbabwe, with a strong focus on driving HCD- and insight-driven programming and supporting development of workforce- and consumer-facing digital health innovations.
- Provide in-country technical assistance and harness PSI technical experts to build capacity of network members to effectively deliver results in line with PSI and global best practices and network members technical strategy and capacity strengthening plans.
- Harness subject matter expertise in HIV, SRHR, digital health and monitoring and adaptive implementation and learning to the network members operating in Zimbabwe.
- Lead the implementation of PSI workplans in Zimbabwe. 15% of the time.
- Proactively fundraise according to the PSI global strategy and PSI in Zimbabwe network member operating plans, maintaining strong and active relations with current, past and potential future donors and partners in-country and beyond.
- Facilitate decisions on new investments, proposal development, partnership formation, key personnel and budgeting in alignment with other network members operating in Zimbabwe.
- Provide technical input into proposals and develop strategies for proposals.
- Serve as the technical lead writer for proposals and lead technical discussions and negotiations with donors. 15% of the time.
- Develop and maintain relationships with PSI network members operating in Zimbabwe, relevant line ministries, external partner organizations and donors.
- Influence the context in which PSI works through representation at relevant coordination forums, conferences, workshops, and policy-oriented exchange platforms.
- Assist in fostering, maintaining and strengthening internal strategic partnerships in collaboration with relevant departments, technical department leads and technical area leads in support of the Regional Representative for Anglophone Africa.
- Ensure up-to-date authorization to represent and implement in Zimbabwe through memoranda of understanding with relevant line ministries. 10% of the time.
- With strong, effective dotted line relationships with PSI HQ technical, program management, grants and contracts, and field finance support teams, guide, mentor, and coach a lean PSI branch office team of 10 staff to set, achieve and report back on ambitious annual performance goals, including professional development and succession planning. 10% of the time.
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (eg. MPH, MSc, MPP, MPA, MBA)
- At least 10 years of related work experience.
- Demonstrate technical expertise in HIV and/or Adaptive Implementation and Learning. Subject matter expertise in HIV and/or Adaptive Implementation and Learning.
- Familiarity with SRHR programming including safe abortion a plus.
- Ability to drive thought leadership and adaptive implementation and learning agenda.
- Ability to contribute to the internal and external body of evidence in relevant technical area.
- Ability to provide strategic technical assistance to PSI network.
- Ability to share knowledge internally and externally with communities of practice; represent PSI externally.
- Ability to distill complex technical concepts into strategic goals, objectives, and approaches; demonstrate strategic decision-making
- Ability design solutions to complex technical challenges.
- Ability to manage the execution of complex technical projects or initiatives.
- Ability to facilitate and support teams of technical advisors to achieve technical objectives.
- Ability to lead the development of technical approach for proposals and foster new business leads and identify and act on potential new business opportunities.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365. Familiarity with a quantitative or qualitative data anylsis program preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. Proficiency in a relevant language other than English preferred.
- Cultural humility and respect.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
Deadline: 10 September 2021