Senior Project Coordinator
- Post Date:February 2, 2021
- Views 599
- Qualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all six continents, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The Senior Project Coordinator will act as a focal point for the Kariba REDD+ project as well for other projects which will be implemented in Zimbabwe. This professional will support field work needed for the successful ongoing monitoring, verification and revalidation of the Kariba REDD+ project and, more general, implement work related to carbon asset development of carbon projects developed jointly by South Pole and Carbon Green Africa, including, but not limited to reporting/interaction with the Project Owners, data collection, participation in spaces of socialisation/discussion. The professional will also oversee implementation of HSSE protocols, Codes of Conducts and similar requirements for the Kariba REDD+ project, and will develop recurring project implementation and update reports as required by South Pole and final buyers of the carbon credits from the Kariba REDD+ Project.
On a case by case basis, the manager will be responsible for structuring, maintaining, negotiating and building partnerships to develop new emission reduction projects in Zimbabwe in cooperation with Carbon Green Africa. The position will also support where relevant, the sourcing of carbon credits and renewable energy credits from renewable energy projects in the country.
This role requires technical forest carbon, report writing, and stakeholder management skills. A technical understanding of nature-based mitigation solutions, specifically REDD+ projects, would be a strong advantage and ideally a broad understanding of related regulations/policies in the region. The Manager will be part of South Pole’s project project implementation team for technical issues related to emission reduction quantification, and occasionally collaborate with the Structure, Finance and Implementation (SFI) team to assess new REDD+ and community projects.
The position will be a key member of the South Pole Project Management Unit team, will be reporting to the Kariba Project Manager and will be in frequent communications with our team in South Africa.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Analyse new potential project development opportunities, work with project partners and communities to ensure that project risks are mitigated and reported on, create project reports on how the project is meeting expected KPIs, especially emission reductions delivery
- Develop quarterly reports on projects to comply with the requirements of carbon credit buyers, based on the internal project update report prepared by Carbon Green Africa
- Coordinate market intelligence info gathering, including research on potential projects, eligible technologies, standards, market prices
- Network with relevant organisations including potential project owners, land owners or land owner associations, public-private entities, government agencies, NGOs or foundations
- Support in data collection for PDD,VCS, & CCBS MR and Risk Assessment Method (RAM) development
- Attend relevant gatherings and represent South Pole in conferences
- Be the go-to-person for marketing material requests, site visits and auditor logistics and oversee monitoring campaigns
- Be the continuous contact point for the Project Manager and communities involved
- A University degree in a relevant field (e.g. Environmental Management, Sustainability) or a broader field with evidence of a focus on environmental or sustainability issues (e.g. Engineering, Business/Management/Finance) is preferred
- At least 3 years of specific experience in environmental markets, preferably in carbon markets
- Understanding of carbon products and markets, preferably including project-based carbon standards, technologies and project development processes
- Excellent analytical, competency with Excel and other analytical tools and, as an advantage, experience with project finance
- Experience working in international teams
- Demonstrated belief in and commitment to climate change mitigation and broader sustainability objectives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including with communities, governmental representatives and the private sector
- Excellent oral and written skills in English, knowledge of Shona or Ndebele is a plus
- National, or holder of a valid required work visa in host country
- Basic skills in applying remote sensing software like ArcGIS is a plus
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to remote locations within Zimbabwe
- Experience working with forest carbon methodologies and standards such as Verra or the The Gold Standard would be an added advantage
- Photography and/or basic video editing skills and/or basic graphic design skills a plus
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Related Jobs (59)
Senior Account Manager – Harare on June 17, 2021