- Post Date:February 2, 2021
- Views 344
- Qualification DegreeExperience 5-10 YearsIndustry Non Governmental
An opportunity has arisen within a local human rights NGO working nationally to enhance access to justice and promote human rights. Applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons are invited for the post of Senior Lawyer based in Mutare.
The Senior Lawyer will be responsible for implementing and supervising the organisation’s legal education, legal services, research and advocacy initiatives in Manicaland province. The candidate must be able to lead and manage a team as well as working well with multi-level stakeholders within the district. Experience in litigation is pre-requisite and excellent written and oral communication skills are a must. The incumbent will be reporting to the Legal Programmes Manager.
The Senior Lawyer will be expected to:
- Coordinate programme activities at the centre ensuring compliance with fundinding partner’s obligations;
- Continuously monitor programmes to assess progress and results and identifying challenges;
- Provide legal assistance to clients and handle strategic litigation;
- Compile donor specific and institutional reports and any other reports required by supervisor;
- Conduct research and advocacy initiatives;
- Conduct training of justice sector actors such as police, prisons and traditional leaders;
- Ensure compliance with organisational policies with respect to financial and human resources systems;
- Represent the organisation at provincial meetings with multi-level stakeholders;
- Manage performance of immediate subordinates including coaching and mentoring as well as supervise junior lawyers, interns and administrative assistant.
Qualifications and Experience
The Senior lawyer must have:
- An LLB BS- Bachelor of Laws Honours Degree;
- A Masters in Law/Development Studies/Business Administration;
- Registration with the High Court of Zimbabwe;
- Certification by the Law Society of Zimbabwe;
- 5 years’ experience practicing law and at least 3 years’ experience working for an NGO;
- Clean driver’s license essential;
- Willing to travel regularly within Zimbabwe;
- Language skills in Shona and Ndebele are an added advantage.
Interested applicants to direct their applications with motivational letter and CVs to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 9 February 2021