Senior Database Officer (Harare)
- Post Date:January 27, 2021
- Views 551
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
About FHI 360
FHI 360 is a non-profit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S.
The Senior Database Officer will oversee the administration and management of FHI 360’s management information system for routine data. This involves overseeing adherence to the reporting cycle, developing and implementing data security and confidentiality policies, designing and developing database applications, developing and assisting in the analysis of data, providing technical documentation of data and quality assurance of data inputs and outputs, assisting with the presentation of data findings for projects, and providing technical support in the use of these data in research projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Play a leadership role in ensuring timely and accurate data management and reporting.
- Produce regular high-quality analysis products for the monitoring and evaluation areas assigned.
- Administer and maintain FHI 360s databases for routine data, data quality and service quality assessments.
- Monitor and optimize database design, content, structure and other management issues.
- Ensure data backup and recovery policies of all databases are in place.
- Manage database users.
- Takes appropriate measures to ensure the security of the data.
- Provide technical assistance to FHI 360 sites using the databases.
- Recommend hardware and software upgrades to the database server as needed.
- Coordinate data management issues (e.g., deletion of records, query management, Internet reports) within the data users group.
- Develop and ensure adherence to policies to ensure the security and confidentiality of FHI 360’s identifiable health data.
- Monitor staff compliance with confidentiality policies to assure that security standards are met.
- Design and develop database applications in response to FHI 360’s information needs, using MS Excel, Access, VB and SQL. Install developed applications, write application manuals, and train users.
- Assure the quality of data feeds and processing of downloads from field offices and into donor reports.
- Develop standardized programming, data quality checks, and data documentation procedures relevant to the FHI360 data systems.
- Responsible for archiving research-related data and programs.
- Mentor and lead teams in database systems usage, analyses and reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- MS SQL Server Administration, District Health Information System (DHIS) Windows NT and Office Administration and Management, Relational database design and analysis, SQL and MS Access/Excel programming skills.
- Good knowledge of programming principles and languages.
- Demonstrated ability to independently complete assigned tasks, train and facilitate learning and professional development among colleagues.
- Familiarity with client/server or multi-platform application development.
- Solid understanding of basic assumptions of clinical and public health industry practices for data acquisition and quality assurance.
- Knowledge and experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of personnel on hardware and software needs.
- Advanced knowledge of relational database concepts and skills utilized in creating and maintaining relational databases and linking them with GIS.
- Ability to perform spatial analysis of moderate difficulty and present results in a clear and comprehensible way, either orally or as written reports.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Qualifications and requirements:
- BS/BA degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent with 5-7 years relevant experience.
- Or MS/MA Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent, and 3-5 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is an advantage
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please note that FHI 360 does not charge applicants any fee for their applications to be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 29 January 2021
Related Jobs (13)
Safety Health, Environment and Quality Superintendent on August 10, 2022 Full Time