Scientific and Technical Officer (Harare)
- Post Date:June 14, 2021
- Views 513
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest, privately-held, non-denominational, and politically independent German non-governmental organizations in the area of development co-operation and emergency relief. Primarily in co-operation with local partner organizations, its task is to contribute to improved income and nutrition for the poorest rural populations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe almost continuously since 1980. Currently, the organization together with its partners has projects in 5 Provinces. Sector focus is on Food and Nutrition security including WASH, and when necessary Emergency response.
Welthungerhilfe is working on a project entitled “Development of Forecast-based Action mechanism” addressing drought induced food insecurity in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya”, briefly called Forecast-based Action (FbA) Project. The multi-country approach applied within the FbA Project by Welthungerhilfe (WHH), requires an operational structure within each project country to address the complexity and scope of in-country interventions (including networking, partnering, contracting, MEAL, etc.)To anchor the mind set for anticipatory humanitarian assistance, including Early Warning Early Action in-country, and build capacities on the job with national stakeholders, there is need for the FbA Country Teams to engage in learning, knowledge management, dissemination and advocacy activities. This is to support and contribute to the paradigm shift of the national humanitarian systems in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya towards early warning and early action.
Further, for the FbA Project to meet the institutional donor obligations towards the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), FbA Country Teams are established within each of the Welthungerhilfe country offices in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya. For a smooth implementation of the FbA country operations, it is essential to equip the FbA Country Teams with both, special FbA expertise but also with the necessary competencies and experiences regarding project, financial, and operational support from the Welthungerhilfe Country Offices. We are looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position below. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions, and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application.
Welthungerhilfe seeks to engage a Scientific and Technical Officer who will be responsible for providing field support to the project/program activities.
The Scientific and Technical Officer will be expected to:
- Support coordination of field related activities;
- In consultation with the Project Management Unit (PMU) and the FbA Country Team organize and oversee the whole in-country process on risk and hazard impact assessment and analyses;
- Analyse of drought and Food security risks per region or district;
- Facilitate Risk mapping processes; Conduct Analyses of historic impacts of droughts/ related hazards (on households, regions, economy etc.);
- Impact analyses map; In consultation with the Project Management Unit and the FbA Country Team organizes and oversees the process of vulnerability analyses at household level;
- Lead the development of scientific drought trigger model;
- Develop Inventory of existing forecasts and early warning systems;
- Identification of local risk thresholds/ definition hazard-impact magnitudes;
- Matching thresholds, vulnerability and hazard data;
- Developing of monitoring and trigger model;
- Coordination with external scientific and technical service facilities;
- Supports EAP custodian organizations in EAP development;
- Contribute to the project’s/program’s strategic development;
- Provide technical advice on Project Implementation to the District Team Leaders, support teams and counterpart;
- Keep informed about topics and developments related to the project’s/program’s activities (e.g. through evaluation of the press, direct dialog, forum participation, public hearings, seminars);
- Develop and organize quality assurance;
- Participate in identifying needs for external support and advice;
- Propose new initiatives/ improvements, make policy and strategic recommendations;
- Monitor the project progress and provide feed-back to the Management, with the support of and in close cooperation with the monitoring Team;
- Cooperate with relevant stakeholders, including external contractors, local authorities, communities and partners;
- Develop and maintain contacts with all relevant stakeholders e.g. national meteorological agencies;
- Cooperate with government institutions, non-government organisations, and the local community;
- Represent the project/program;
- Act as liaison to and cooperate with other Welthungerhilfe projects/programs in the region;
- Collect and circulate relevant information, disseminate project experiences.
Qualifications, skills and experience required
- A Degree in a course related to the program’s goals, such as Development Studies, Environmental Sciences/Studies Disaster/ Risk Management;
- Masters degree is an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a professional in International organisations ;
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in the areas related to forecast based financing, natural hazards, disasters, vulnerability assessment, Food security analysis, climate change, resilient infrastructure, Early Warning Systems and disaster risk management in a similar position within a national or international GO/NGO;
- Familiarity with disaster risk management institutions and governance concepts, emergency preparedness and recovery strategies, and a range of disaster risk financing alternatives;
- Proven record of experience in planning and managing technical co-operation strategies and relevant learning, knowledge management and advocacy programmes in disaster reduction, emergency response and post-disaster recovery;
- Basic command of written and spoken English,
- Basic working knowledge of MS Office and modern telecommunication systems,
- Should have a valid class 4 drivers licence.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation and CVs to [email protected] Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap.
Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 23 June 2021
Related Jobs (13)
Medical Laboratory Scientist – Bulawayo Laboratory on July 26, 2021 Full Time