Safeguarding Policy Consultancy
- Post Date:February 1, 2022
- Views 274
- Career Level ConsultantQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa), is a feminist pan African, rapid response Fund committed to transforming power relations through resourcing African feminists and womn human rights defenders and their formations as an act of solidarity. We are part of the ecosystem of feminist and womn’s movements in Africa and globally. Registered in Nairobi, Kenya and operating as a virtual organization, the Fund boasts of strategic presence in Africa’s five sub-regions – East Africa: Nairobi, Kenya, Kampala, Uganda and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; North Africa: Cairo, Egypt; Central Africa: Cameroon & Burundi ; Southern Africa: Zimbabwe and South Africa, and West Africa: Abuja, Nigeria, Benin and Togo
Overall Purpose of the Consultancy:
Urgent Action Fund-Africa seeks an experienced consultant to support and accompany the Fund in developing a safeguarding policy that is founded in feminist principles and values. The consultant will coordinate the effective implementation of the safeguarding policies and procedures; provide advice, capacity building and support to UAF-Africa staff to launch the policy document and to enable staff and management to proactively identify and mitigate safeguarding risks; and ensure safeguarding measures are integrated into all the systems of the organisation.
Working closely with UAF-Africa Human Resources Team, the consultant will:
- Review existing safeguarding policies in the philanthropic and civil society community;
- Identify critical gaps and challenges with the existing safeguarding policies and plans; and
- Using this analysis redefine from a feminist perspective a safeguarding policy document that can be operationalized by UAF-Africa.
- Conduct desk review and analysis of existing safeguarding policies and implementation framework from womn’s rights organizations, philanthropic institutions and other international organizations working on womn’s rights globally.
- Source for sample safeguarding policies from relevant stakeholders.
- Conduct a critical analysis on these policies from a feminist perspective and identify strengthens and gaps for reflection.
- Develop a report of the review and analysis highlighting positive elements, current gaps and potential recommendations for consideration by UAF-Africa’s management team.
- Review the Fund’s policy documents and implementation frameworks to identify opportunities and gaps in regards to safeguarding.
- Conduct survey’s to gather relevant data from staff members to feed into the policy report.
- Develop a draft policy document for review.
- Adopt edits and comments and conclude the final document by 25 February 2022.
Criteria for Consultant:
- Significant organizational development expertise.
- Demonstrated experience in developing institutional policies and operational guidelines.
- Technical knowledge of safeguarding process and practices in the Civil Society Organisations space and within the African context.
- Feminist practitioner with ability to apply feminist approaches to policy development.
- Knowledge and understanding of Womn’s Rights Organizations.
- Strong facilitator with ability to apply participatory methodologies in training workshops.
Proposed Implementation Period
- Activity-Research and data collection – 1 day
- Activity – Data analysis and compilation -3 days
- Activity – Report Writing – 2 days
- Activity – Submission of Draft & Final Report – 1 day
Duration of Consultancy
The consultancy is expected to be conducted over 8 non-consecutive days as outlined below. The consultant is at liberty to move the days around as they please however total days should not exceed 8 days.
The consultancy is expected to take place any 8 days from 11 – 25 February 2022.
Remuneration: UAF-Africa will negotiate the consultancy rate with the selected consultant based on competitive rates and similar work carried out in other spaces.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and profile to [email protected] with “ Consultancy–Safeguarding Policy” in the subject line. References, writing samples and other information will be requested from shortlisted candidates. No phone calls please.
UAF-Africa is actively committed and seeks a diverse applicant pool, womn and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.
 Our use of womn is an act of challenging and replacing traditional ideas of what and who a womn is and can be and the links of womn to a system of patriarchy where womn are, in effect, subject to men or a sub-category of men. Other formulations used by feminists and others include womxn, womyn and womn. Womn for us includes lesbian, bisexual womn and transwomn. Further, womn includes those who are non-binaried, identifying with neither gender.
Application Deadline: 10 February 2022