Residence Chef (02/21 HRE) S2
- Post Date:February 14, 2021
- Views 772
- Offered Salary USD 888.06
Main Purpose of Job
The British Ambassador’s residence is the official residence of Her Majesty’s ambassador to Zimbabwe and as such the residence and its’ staff perform a vital role in representation of the British Embassy in Harare. The Residence team is dedicated to creating memorable guest experiences through provision of excellent service and gracious hospitality.
This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled chef, capable of delivering high quality cuisine to join our team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, preparation and delivery of innovative seasonal menus for varying official events at the Residence ranging from; breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon tea, receptions and buffets as well as preparing daily meals for the Ambassador and family. Menus to be approved by the Residence Manager/Ambassador.
- Ability to adapt to different guest dietary requirements and have knowledge in preparation of vegetarian and vegan cuisine. Must have knowledge of modern cuisine and cooking techniques. Required to study new recipes, cooking tips and presentation styles from various sources to improve menus on a regular basis and actively review feedback from the ambassador, their family and guests when designing menus.
- Work closely with the Residence Manager and gardeners to plan annual vegetable and fruit planting with focus on ‘farm to table’ dining.
- Order, purchase, and maintain stock of organic and sustainable produce. Actively seek out and compare prices of food stock to ensure quality, and value for money.
- Maintaining the inventory and standard of all kitchen equipment and replenishing where necessary.
- Manage food supplies, equipment, and work areas. Build organisation and functionality in kitchen operation. Monitor kitchen hygiene and sanitation practices as well as follow kitchen safety standards. Study the FCDO Health & Safety guidance and apply it in practice, creating and carrying out weekly/monthly cleaning schedules.
- Collect receipts and related paperwork, ensuring compliance with the embassy’s financial requirements and ethics. Support the Residence Manager in maintaining menu cost records.
- Liaise with the Residence Manager in the preparation of all official events, ensuring timely and effective delivery through effective communication and directing additional kitchen staff as required.
- Previous experience in a similar position.
- Strong background and track-record in preparing modern British/international cuisine.
- Formal culinary training and qualification.
- Good communication, organisational, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent kitchen management and food hygiene control.
- Ability to respond quickly to feedback
- Readiness to work flexibly, including evenings.
- Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Language: Proficient English
- Understanding of local seasonal produce.
- Knowledge of local food suppliers
- Experience in pastry/dessert station
- Driver’s License
- Changing and Improving,
- Collaborating and Partnering,
- Delivering Value for Money,
- Managing a Quality Service,
- Delivering at Pace
- Due to Covid 19 safety precautions, working hours and shifts may be varied
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Harare are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Zimbabwe.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- HM Treasury has issued an instruction to Government departments employing staff overseas, where they are not liable to local tax, that their salaries should be abated by an equivalent amount. The British Embassy currently has not implemented this policy, however, reserves the right to do so in future.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Zimbabwe will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.