- Post Date:December 13, 2021
- Views 481
- Career Level TechnicianQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Agriculture
Vacancy Number: Z21149
Based in: Harare, Zimbabwe
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Research Technician to be based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records. This position will support on-going research activities in Zimbabwe and collaborating projects in the Southern Africa region as needed. The incumbent will work under the supervision of scientists in implementing the Fall Armyworm project and play an important role in participating in field surveys, data collection and data analysis.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Lead the implementation of a Fall Armyworm project in two Districts of Zimbabwe including data collection, farm surveys and analysis of results
- Contribute to the distribution of inputs and coordination of additional on-farm and on-station trials in Zimbabwe as needed
- Manage and supervise on-station and on-farm trials defined in annual panning meetings with quality assurance on planting, field operations and harvesting
- Support the reporting of project activities with pre-analyzed data and draft reports to facilitate smooth operations of the IDP program,
- Supervise the work and progress of BSc students attached to CIMMYT’s IDP program in Harare
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- At least a BSc in Agriculture Science with a strong focus on Agronomy. An MSc would be an added advantage
- Class 4 Drivers licence i a requirement
- At least 5 years of consecutive work experience in managing and supervising agronomic trials independently and/or under supervision
- Previous work experience at a national or international research center would be an added advantage
- Experience in collating and analyzing agronomic trials
- Experience in reporting to project teams and funders
- Advanced knowledge in standard computer programmes (MS Office)
- Basic knowledge in statistical programs and analysis tools — especially in R.
- Proven language skills (fluency in English both oral and written)
The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competences:
- Interpersonal skills,
- Critical Thinking,
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
How to Apply
Submit your applications to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained and expected remuneration. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. The closing date for receipt of applications is 17th December 2021.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.