Project Field Officer - Disaster Risk Reduction
- Post Date:May 19, 2021
- Views 903
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Contract type: Full time
Location: Chipinge and Chimanimani districts
Report to: Field Manager
Contract duration: 7 months (Starting May 2021)
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. is a German non-governmental relief organisation duly registered with the courts of law in Bonn. The purpose of Help shall be the independent and worldwide implementation of relief programs or cooperation therein, the provision for alleviation of misery and poverty, the promotion of development cooperation, development of education and information work, and enhancement of the peaceful and decent coexistence of peoples as well as support of appropriate activities in the areas stated.
Help is seeking an experienced and competent Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Field Officer to support the project to organize communities around schools for disaster prevention, mitigation, preparedness and vulnerability reduction. The incumbent will also help to improve Education in Emergencies response capacities for schools, responsible authorities and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the preparation and development of the baseline survey;
- Mobilization of the project targeted groups for CMDRR training;
- Raising awareness of disaster reduction, climate change and improving disaster preparedness in schools through trainings in DRR including community early warning systems;
- Raise community awareness of hazards and disaster risks through Risks identification, assessment and monitoring closely the early warning systems;
- Promote understanding of hazards and communities’ vulnerabilities;
- Help communities enhance their capacities to address their vulnerabilities;
- Support relevant government departments and other key stakeholders to use CMDRR knowledge, innovation and education to build a culture of safety and resilience at all levels;
- Facilitate regular awareness raising campaigns in the communities on hazards through community meetings organized by other development partners, information and education material and through mobile out-reach teams;
- Activate and strengthen community mobile communication platforms like WhatsApp for information dissemination and follow up preparedness messages to the community;
- Undertaking participatory vulnerability analysis (PVA) with children, teachers, parents and the wider community;
- Tracking changes linked to climate changes;
- Raising awareness in wider communities – outreach from schools, capacity building with School Management Committees;
- Supporting community mobilization and advocacy (campaign, rally and follow-up trainings); Documenting processes / experiences;
- Production of Community friendly learning and advocacy materials outlining key messages;
- Support trained teachers to establish school DRR clubs in targeted schools;
- Support teachers, children and youth to work with their communities in – developing risk maps, designing school and community emergency plans, setting up early warning systems and implementing response, mitigation and risk reduction plans, among other activities;
- Provide on-going monitoring of program activities and make recommendations for improvement where appropriate;
- Produce progress reports and monthly plans against activities;
- Ensure compliance to Donor and Help requirements /guidelines;
- Maintain regular contact with school heads, trained teachers, community leaders, and community groups, DRR clubs in the selected schools and communities as well as essential stakeholders for advocacy purposes;
- Collaborates and ensures good relationship with the central government through the District Development Coordinator’s office and other key partners;
- Develop and maintain an effective operational partnership with District and ward council authority and other local stakeholders as necessary;
- Ensures smooth coordination and sharing of information with project stakeholders and other partners at district and area council level;
- Build effective partnerships with key stakeholders such as communities, leaders and provincial government.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Degree in Social Sciences, Geography and Environmental Studies, Development Studies, Community Development, Disaster Management or any relevant qualification;
- Three (3) years’ experience in project implementation.
- Having experience in Community Based activity in Disaster Risk Reduction (CBDRM) and/or environment will be an asset;
- Knowledge of Disaster Management and Disaster Risk Reduction are key requirements;
- A full understanding of the national Disaster Management structures is mandatory;
- Training and workshop organizational skills on DRRM matters;
- Strong reporting skills;
- Stays open to internal and external feedback;
- Ability to work under minimum supervision and under severe pressure.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a detailed CV, scanned certificates of relevant qualifications and motivational letter with 3 traceable references to [email protected]
NB: Short listing will be done as applications are received, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Help believes in equal opportunities for all hence women and youths are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 28 May 2021
Related Jobs (18)
Safety Health and Environment Quality (SHEQ) Officer on January 28, 2022 Full Time
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer on January 25, 2022