Project Disaster Risk Reduction Training Consultant
- Post Date:January 10, 2021
- Views 417
- Career Level ConsultantQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe (Help) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in 1981 that works in around 20 countries throughout the world, including in Zimbabwe.
Expected Outcomes and Deliverables
The DRR training is expected to complete the following key outputs to the satisfaction of the contracting party:
- Presentation of DRR training material based on the scope of work;
- Development of evacuation plans and risk/resources map for community and Submission of DRR training report with clear recommendations to Help.
Duties and responsibilities
- Establish effective coordination mechanisms and communication patterns across Government agencies, local community leadership and civil society for risk reduction work at district levels;
- Train the targeted communities to be prepared for common disasters in their area through production of DRR action plans which the community will implement;
- Facilitate assessment;
- Facilitate/influence District DRR in identification of structural and non‐structural measures based on community resources of flood mitigation in close coordination with concerned departments;
- Build on knowledge and experiences related to mainstreaming DRM and use as material for the provision of training to government counterparts and other stakeholders;
- Development of DRR map for the community that displays the identified hazards and resources and is accessible to every member of the community;
- Carry out advocacy, training and awareness raising activities on DRM;
- Raising awareness and public education, the understanding of hazards and vulnerabilities – on the level of risks and its implications;
- Assessment and systematic monitoring of vulnerability factors (in collaboration with the key Government officers in the districts), existing and required capacities, existing and potential hazards, as well as potential exposure and risk generated by new development actions.
Required Qualifications / Experience
- Preferable experience of 5 years in implementing training and awareness raising activities on DRR;
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in disaster risk management, environment or development or other related fields;
- Preferable extensive field experience in disaster environments and an in‐depth knowledge of disaster management issues;
- Excellent facilitation skills and knowledge of adult learning principles;
- Preferable application of theoretical knowledge in management of multi‐disciplinary programs involving government, civil society communities;
- Proven analytical and writing skills;
- Experience of working with government departments and communities on issues related to disaster management will be desirable;
- Knowledge of the project region Manicaland desirable.
Interested individual consultants or consultant firms are invited to submit a request to [email protected] for the Terms of reference.