Programme Support Intern
- Post Date:March 30, 2021
- Views 555
- Career Level StudentQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Type of Appointment: Internship, 3 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
CFA Reference Number: CFA2021/03
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Within the context of COVID-19 outbreak, IOM has scaled up operations to strengthen the capacity of national border agencies, including port health and civil society, for preparedness and response along the mobility continuum in Zimbabwe, coordinate protection, promotion, and enforcement of human rights for citizens to enhance migrant integration and social cohesion. Under the overall supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Head of Programmes, the successful candidate will assist providing reintegration support to vulnerable migrants, returnees and displaced populations to strengthen social cohesion in Zimbabwe, support monitoring the implementation of different projects of the mission, as well as assist project teams with the liaison between different units within the organization.
Core functions / responsibilities
- Support key implementing activities of the PRU in administrative and logistics tasks;
- Support project teams on the development of visibility materials to ensure proper donor visibility during implementation of activities;
- Support organization of internal and external meetings and development of draft minutes;
- Support Unit staff in preparation of draft letters, internal communication, and administrative related documents;
- In close coordination with relevant programme managers and other colleagues, assist in drafting interim and final project reports for donors;
- Assist the Unit in preparing and implementing procurement and distribution plans and ensure timely follow up;
- Assist in issuing, monitoring, and managing documentation required for processing procurement of assets for the project requirements and follow up on delivery, distribution, and stock in coordination with Procurement unit;
- Support coordination between all relevant Units within IOM (Procurement and Logistics, Finance, Human Resources, PRU, etc) with a special emphasis on building synergies and cooperation as well as backstop ongoing activities; Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Project Management, Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Economics, Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution;
- Minimum of 1 year of professional experience in the areas mentioned above.
- Experience in project implementation with an international organization, UN agency or national NGO will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development;
- Knowledge or experience of procurement and logistics;
- Knowledge or experience on managing budget;
- Experience liaising with governmental authorities, other national/ international institutions, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) is an asset;
- Experience liaising with clients, suppliers, provider is an asset;
- Strong organizational skills to work independently and to prioritize a heavy workload under the pressure of competing assignments;
- Ability to cooperate and coordinate with other units.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context;
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context)
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Eligibility and selection
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
- Have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
- Are either students approaching the end of their studies or recently graduated, who have less than two years of relevant working experience;
- Must have a University Degree.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity – respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency – maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism – demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies (behavioural indicators):
- Teamwork – develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results;
- Delivering results – produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes;
- Managing and sharing knowledge – continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate;
- Accountability – takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work;
- Communication – encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 6 April 2021