Programme Development Officer (Country Office)
- Post Date:June 25, 2021
- Views 401
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest, privately-held, non-denominational, and politically independent German non-governmental organizations in the area of development co-operation and emergency relief. Primarily in cooperation with local partner organizations, its task is to contribute to improved income and nutrition for the poorest rural populations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe almost continuously since 1980. Currently, the organization together with its partners has projects in 5 Provinces. Sector focus is on Food and Nutrition security including WASH, and when necessary Emergency response.
Welthungerhilfe seeks to engage a Programme Development Officer (PDO) who will work with the Heads of Program (HoPr) to identify and track donor opportunities, facilitate donor engagement, assist in the development of fundraising strategies, take a leading role in the proposal design and development process for all funding opportunities. The position requires innovative thinking and creativity to package WHH programme strategies in ways that attract the right donor support and grow the portfolio. S/He will write sections of proposals that speak to WHH overall capabilities as well as the demands of the donors, while coordinating the input of e.g. Heads of Projects, field office implementation staff, Supply Chain, Finance, HR and MEAL, external experts into proposals and budgets. The PDO will be expected to stay closely informed about the progress of all major institutional grants and able to speak to results in key reporting documents, including supporting some review of large strategic reports.
The programme and development expert will be responsible for:
- As a member of the Welthungerhilfe Zimbabwe Team, demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Welthungerhilfe’s Mission, Vision and Values;
- Contribute to the wider country programme agenda and development; Ensure the design and development of high-quality project proposals that contribute to the Country Office’s strategies and plans as informed by the WHH global strategy;
- Provide inputs and support to the ICT4D and communications teams to communicate and market WHH vision internally and externally;
- Contribute to providing technical assistance and capacity building for and with partners on proposal development as needed.
New Program Development:
- Work closely with the HoPr to identify, research, and disseminate information on new funding opportunities from bilateral, multilateral, and other institutional donors;
- Identify, examine and assess (pre-selecting) new project ideas on the basis of the country programme as well as concept papers and orientation framework;
- Lead in assessment processes in anticipation of and preparation for new projects (e.g. food security assessments);
- Develop co-financing applications together with the HoPr;
- Ensure compliance with Welthungerhilfe’s quality standards when partner organisations prepare project planning documents;
- Prepare internal project documents/PROMIS in coordination with Programmes and Finance units to allow for the internal approval process;
- Ensure key contacts, required formats and donor strategies are kept up-to-date at the country office level;
- Together with HoPr and HoMEAL (Head of MEAL), prepare and follow up on planning studies, evaluations and use of audits and controlling the implementation of the appropriate results;
- Identify potential new project partners;
- Conduct partner assessments, identify the training and further development requirements of partner organisations and ensure that capacity building trainings are being conducted;
- Advise partner organisations on organisational and conceptual matters and regarding the introduction and implementation of instruments to ensure the quality of projects.
- In agreement with the Country Director (CD) and HoPr, represent Welthungerhilfe vis-à-vis other national and international, governmental and non-governmental bodies as well as relief and development organisations, participating in coordination committees with other relevant organisations;
- Prepare the annual report in collaboration with HoP and HoPr/CD;
- Involvement in the development of the country strategy and related documents in agreement with the CD.
Qualifications, skills and experience required
- Skilled in social sciences, humanities or development with a minimum of a relevant first degree preferably with experience in Food and Nutrition Security/ Transformation of Food Systems, Gender and Protection;
- Proven track record in producing winning bids and proposals for institutional donors, corporations and others;
- Proven ability to design high quality programs, including the development of multi-million dollar project budgets;
- Recommended 4-5 years’ experience in both an emergency and development contexts;
- Excellent coordination, facilitation, organisational and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels and pull together input from a diverse team;
- Excellent writing/editing, reporting, budget development and presentation/communication skills;
- Experience in presenting project information to donors and partners;
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets;
- Experience in solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward;
- Experience in advising and building the capacity of partner organisations;
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner;
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies;
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation and their CVs to [email protected] Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email.
During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap. Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 7 July 2021
Related Jobs (17)
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist on July 22, 2021 Full Time
Investigative Journalism Opportunities for Reporters and Mentors on July 22, 2021 Contract