Program Assistant (Consultant)
- Post Date:August 21, 2021
- Views 1054
- Career Level ConsultantQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
An international non-governmental organization (NGO) is seeking applications from suitably qualified individuals for a Program Assistant (consultant) based in Zimbabwe or South Africa.
We are a non-political and non-denominational non-governmental organization that has been committed to a just world for more than 50 years. We work together with local partner organizations in the global south where we support better living conditions for children, young people and communities across ten countries in Africa and Latin America. In our home country, we strive to increase awareness of global interconnections and run information campaigns to promote fairer north-south relations.
In southern Africa, our organization is working in the fields of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), prevention of violence as well as education and income. We focus on supporting our partner organizations financially and with capacity building, whereby our partners have accumulated expertise, methods, tools and experiences that can be transferred to other contexts and enhance programming of like-minded organizations.
To this end, our organization has jointly developed a Knowledge Hub with another international NGO working in west Africa. The knowledge hub will bring together an active community that involves both professionals and youth (activists) to share insights and lessons learnt, and to document, synthesize and thereby create knowledge with the goal of empowering youth to be active citizens and actors in their respective communities and regions in francophone West Africa and in Southern Africa. This will be achieved by bringing together health practitioners and youth workers to create a space for a structured reflection on good practices in order to enhance the effectiveness of mutual initiatives in the domain of SRHR and gender-sensitive youth empowerment.
To facilitate the activities of this Knowledge Hub as well as to support our national coordination office for Zimbabwe and South Africa, we have created the position of Program Assistant suitable for a junior professional who seeks to grow in the world of development work.
The Program Assistant will be reporting directly to the National Coordinator (NC) for Zimbabwe and South Africa. The ideal candidate must be available for interviews at the end of August and to start, preferably, on the 1st of October 2021.
Qualification and experience
The successful candidate must be a holder of an Undergraduate Degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social Science, Social Work or Development Studies. A Master’s Degree could be an added advantage.
The ideal candidate is an individual with demonstrated working experience in some, or all, of the key areas below:
- Has worked in the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) sector, ideally with young people;
- Has experience coordinating networks with diverse partners but shared interests, preferably across borders;
- Has demonstrated ability to work online, especially with social media tools, to facilitate knowledge sharing and advocacy;
- Is familiar with project management in the context of development work, especially in the areas of project planning, reporting as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- S/he should have good communication skills;
- S/he should be a good team player;
- S/he must have excellent spoken and written English language skills.
- Ability to communicate in Ndebele, Zulu and French is an added advantage;
- S/he must have good computer skills (word, excel, PowerPoint);
- S/he must have a high level of self-responsibility and social commitment to work in the fields of SRHR, PSS and gender;
- S/he should be willing to travel at least two times on the continent and within the country;
- S/he should be ready to perform any other function as may be assigned by the NC from time to time, including assisting with duties of the NC;
- S/he should hold a passport valid for more than 6 months at the time of appointment.
In return, the employer offers
- A consultancy contract remunerated monthly until December 2022; Medical insurance;
- A work environment replete with opportunities for learning through close contact with our experienced national office staff, the head office and our local implementing partners;
- On job trainings (according to interests and needs);
- Flexibility regarding the organization of the work, including the possibility of a home office in a number of cities in Zimbabwe and South Africa preferably, but not limited to Pietermaritzburg, Durban, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Bulawayo and Harare.
If you believe you are the ideal candidate with necessary background, kindly submit by email:
- A letter of motivation (not more than one page) including a focus on self-assessment of the abilities to work in the cross-country initiative and in the fields of SRHR and gender;
- A 2-page resume highlighting the skills and experience required in the qualifications section of this call;
S/he should be available for an interview online or in person in Harare in the month of August 2021. Interviews will be held at our office in Harare and will involve a Teams call with our head office.
Send your applications to be sent to by email: [email protected]
Female candidates are encouraged to apply
We will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.
Deadline: 31 August 2021