Partnerships & Development Consultant
- Post Date:May 30, 2022
- Views 422
- Career Level ConsultantQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Position Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
Reporting to: Executive Director
Contract Type: 3 months consultancy
Start Date: June 2022
Applications Closing Date: 2300 Hours CAT on 2 June, 2022
Are you a strategic thinker, a partnership broker with skills for spotting new opportunities for funding and collaborative action on women’s rights? Do you believe in supporting African womn human rights defenders to bring about transformative leadership and social change to the African continent? Are you passionate about womn’s rights and excited about expanding feminist analysis and action on the pertinent issues African womn are experiencing? If this description fires you up, then consider applying for the consultancy of…”
Partnerships & Development Consultant
Who we are
Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa) is a consciously feminist and womn’s human rights pan- African Fund, registered in Kenya and Zimbabwe. Operating as a virtual organisation, the Fund boasts of strategic presence in Africa’s five sub-regions- East Africa: Nairobi-Kenya, Kampala-Uganda and Addis Ababa-Ethiopia; North Africa: Cairo-Egypt; Central Africa: Bujumbura- Burundi; Southern Africa: Harare-Zimbabwe, Lilongwe-Malawi, Antananarivo, Madagascar, Johannesburg & Capetown-South Africa, Francistown-Botswana; and West Africa: Benue State -Nigeria and Parakou-Benin and Yaoundé and Doula Cameroon and Lomé, Togo. Recognising the need to move resources rapidly on a continent where opportunities and threats arise and decline quickly, UAF-Africa uses a Rapid Response Grant making mechanism to support unanticipated, time sensitive, innovative, and unique initiatives that promote women’s agency in democratic governance, economic, environmental and climate justice, natural resources governance and conflict transformation while protecting their personhood, integrity, and rights.
UAF-Africa seeks a Partnerships & Development Consultant who will translate UAF-Africa’s strategic plans into effective social justice initiatives and results. Guided by feminist principles and values, the Fund advocates for womn’s equality, not only as a matter of human rights, but also as a fundamental prerequisite for social change, global security, and sustainable peace. In addition to her core business of Rapid Response Grantmaking, UAF-Africa also runs alliance building and advocacy initiatives in collaboration with other social justice organisations.
- Working closely with the Executive Director, develop and implement a partnership strategy to expand the reach and impact of on-going efforts in advancing UAF-Africa’s focus areas. This will be achieved by utilising social marketing, strategic communications, resource mobilization, donor engagement and compliance among other strategies.
- Participate in networking activities to identify potential partners; network with local, regional, international; non-profit organizations (women’s rights and mainstream social justice), donor institutions and actors, private sector actors and organisations and state and national agencies among other potential partners for future partnership building.
- Conceptualize new strategic initiatives that could be built around or benefit from diverse philanthropic actors.
- Manage on-going activities, including reviewing all programmatic opportunities; developing relationships with partners and potential partners; managing the partnerships pipeline as issues arise; researching programmatic and funding opportunities and selecting the most appropriate to be advanced; creating and implementing realistic project plans and timelines; coordinating and managing multiple projects.
- Serve as the primary liaison person within UAF-Africa for partnership building and development initiatives.
- Implement strategies to strengthen relationships with key external partners, including donors, grantees, community organizations, individual philanthropists among others.
- Develop and track measures of success and create progress reports for all partnerships.
- Develop and maintain a database of partners and prospective partners.
- Develop and implement a process for evaluating opportunities and ideas in terms of mission/goals fit and organizational capacity.
- Work closely with the Fund’s Finance, Legal, Programmes and Human Resources Managers to draft and negotiate partnership contracts.
- Oversee all resource mobilization initiatives to enhance and implement the existing strategy to grow UAF-Africa’s resources in line with the current strategic plan.
- Be the focal person for proposal development in line with the resource mobilisation strategy and conduct donor mapping according to funding priorities of UAF-Africa.
- Monitor, identify, review and pursue a steady stream of grant funding opportunities.
- Review grant funding opportunities and facilitate go-no-go decision making processes with the Executive Director.
- Be the focal point for proposal development and donor reporting while facilitating crossfunctional teams to develop strong grant programme designs.
- Provide regular updates to the team on grant pipeline progress.
- Provide early identification and escalation of issues in grant performance to ensure risks are managed.
- Conduct Learning, Monitoring and Evaluation on organizational resource mobilization and draw up analysis and lessons learnt.
- Participate as a member of the UAF-Africa’s management team.
- Provide periodic reports for internal/external communications to the team and other stakeholders.
- Prepare partnership reports for presentation to the Board as and when required.
- Assist with programmes public outreach, press releases and public presentations of UAF-Africa’s work, especially on collaborative initiatives.
- Maintain open and fluid multi-media communications with all partners and potential partners.
- Develop partnership packages and presentations.
- Coordinate the development of Information Education and Communication related materials, i.e., media kits, posters, and joint publicity material.
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The ideal candidate shall have:
- Master’s degree in social sciences; Women’s Studies, Gender Studies, Law, International Development, or other development fields.
- 8-10 years’ expertise and experience in successful resource mobilization; funding proposal writing and oral presentation, program design, grant management for social justice NGOs-especially women’s rights organisations.
- Knowledge of social justice/development frameworks, donor liaison and management.
- Track record of success in networking and partnership building.
- Experience in monitoring multiple grants, project budgets and financial reporting with strong financial awareness.
- Track record of success on motivating teams and of successfully conducting capacity building on resource mobilisation for social justice NGOs.
- Excellent inter-personal, public speaking and negotiation skills – ability to communicate persuasively, in English.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Database, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as strong familiarity with social media activism and usage.
- Strong writing, proof-reading, organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate emerging needs and integrate them speedily into priority settings.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a fast-paced and virtual team environment, while simultaneously managing many initiatives.
- Working knowledge of feminist and women’s rights organisations and movements.
- An appreciation of gender equality and women’s rights issues, particularly in conflict and fragile political African settings.
- Ability to interface sensitively with people from various social, economic, political, cultural, and religious backgrounds.
- Budget and financial management skills- familiarity with grant making is an added advantage.
- Experience working with Salesforce software an added advantage.
This is a regional position that involves some national, regional, and international travel. UAF-Africa is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices. To build the strongest possible workforce, UAF-Africa actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. The Fund is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on UAF-Africa website & apply for this role using the link HERE
No phone calls please.
Related Jobs (19)
Team Lead, Youth Political Attitudes and Behavior Assessment on June 22, 2022 Contract
Systems Strengthening Lead on June 22, 2022