(Re-Advert) Operations Assistant – Team Leader (Field Support)
- Post Date:May 10, 2022
- Views 1208
- Career Level AssistantQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment:Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Reference Number: VN2022/05
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of Movement Operations Officer, the Operations Assistant – Team Leader (Field Support) is responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities.
Core functions / responsibilities
- Undertake field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation, or sub-office, or in relation to transportation.
- As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities; In coordination with the Movement Operations Officer, lead Field Support Teams as they perform airport services, as well as perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems;
- Lead Field Support Teams as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities, and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation.
- Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security, and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s);
- Assist in the coordination of timely and adequate services for meals, snacks, and water for individuals staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations.
- Work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard;
- Work with units and departments and beneficiaries on pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing / shoes;
- Assist with daily discussions with beneficiaries on cleanliness, litter, and hygiene.
- Keep all posters and informational messages up-to-date and placed in visible locations; Assist at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay.
- Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and / or supervisors if issues arise;
- Lead the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings;
- Ensure baggage sorting, tagging, and handling is done appropriately and arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed;
- Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately;
- Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and / or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water;
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Movement Operations Officer and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention;
- Alert Movement Operations Officer or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and experience
- Secondary [high school] education and five years of relevant working experience;
- Three years of working experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage;
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel, and Internet;
- Mature individual who can work independently and overtime, when requested and independently;
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations, is an added advantage.
Languages: Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results;
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes;
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate;
- Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work;
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment;
- No late applications will be accepted.
IOM invites interested candidates to submit their applications to [email protected] by 2 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Related Jobs (11)
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer on August 1, 2022 Contract Full Time
Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Manager on August 1, 2022 Contract Full Time