Operations Assistant (Data Processing)
- Post Date:May 10, 2022
- Views 714
- Career Level AssistantQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Reference Number: VN2022/04
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations Units in various IOM Country Offices, coordinated under the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters (HQ), are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of Movement Operations Officer, the Operations Assistant (Data Processing) is responsible for undertaking data processing activities, with the following duties and responsibilities
Core functions / responsibilities
- Record demographic and biographic information in MiMOSA upon receipt of the request for travel while confirming receipt to third parties, such as an embassy or Resettlement Support Center (RSC).
- Notify the Operations Officer of the receipt of new requests for travel assistance.;
- Secure, and account for travel documents in accordance with the local Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Ensure secure storage of documentation and data in accordance with IOM principles and guidelines while guaranteeing limited access to physical files.;
- Process exit permits in close coordination with supervisors and other IOM colleagues and relevant authorities;
- Ensure the issuance and timely dispatch of travel documents with Operations colleagues, from booking notifications to logistical assistance with exit processes closely coordinated;
- Prepare all travel-ready documentation for transfer to Field Support colleagues in collaboration and coordination with supervisors while ensuring the travel bag has all necessary documentation to depart the country;
- Prepare reports as requested on the receipt of documentation to time of service delivery; inform supervisors on issues which need attention and suggest corrective actions;
- Report any problems encountered like denials of exit permits, reasons for such denials and possible solutions;
- Assist in preparing regular data mining reports to ensure that MiMOSA is up-to-date, accurate and maintains the integrity of relevant Movement Operations projects;
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Officer and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise;
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instruction on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA.);
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules.
- Alert management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and experience
- Completed secondary [high school] education required and five years of relevant working experience;
- Three years of working experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience a strong advantage;
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel, and Internet; past experience with Movement Operations-related databases and systems (including, MiMOSA,) is a strong advantage.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results;
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes;
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate;
- Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work;
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment;
- No late applications will be accepted.
IOM invites interested candidates to submit their applications to [email protected] by 12 May 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Related Jobs (23)
Team Lead, Youth Political Attitudes and Behavior Assessment on June 22, 2022 Contract
Systems Strengthening Lead on June 22, 2022
Finance and Administration Graduate Trainee (Harare) on June 21, 2022 Internship