MSc / MPhil Fellowship
- Post Date:September 15, 2021
- Apply Before: September 28, 2021
- Views 141
- Career Level StudentQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Health Care
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR MSC/MPhil FELLOWSHIP
Division: University of Zimbabwe, Faculty of medicine and health sciences, Department of Diagnostic and investigative laboratory sciences, Immunology unit.
Research group: University of Zimbabwe Birth cohort
Principal investigator: Prof K. Duri
Post title: Research student
Project title: Natural killer cell distributions among HIV and cART exposed infants- a methodological approach
Area of study: Immunometabolomics
The UZ-DFG study under the African-Germany consortium funded by the German research fund is focused on the effects of in utero exposure to HIV and combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) on the development and functioning of the immune system of HIV exposed uninfected infants within the UZCHS Birth cohort.
The student will be working with a doctoral student under the main research question: – Does in utero exposure to maternal HIV infection and life-long combination antiretroviral therapy dysregulate the metabolism of immune effector cells in HEU) infants and impair their functioning?
The research student will be focusing on the following research questions
- Does the time from blood sample collection to peripheral blood mononuclear cells(PBMC) isolation affect the cell yield and viability?
- Do PBMC yield and NK cell phenotypes differ between HEU, HIV exposed infected (HEI) and HIV unexposed uninfected (HUU) infants?
- Does repeated freezing and thawing of PBMCs affect cell viability, NK cell nutrient uptake and/or cell surface markers?
Key duties and responsibilities
- To work under and report to the principal investigator and a doctoral student.
- To aid in study participant enrollment and sample collection.
- To carry out cell isolations, manual counts, cell nutrient uptake and functional assays, freezing and thawing according to the standard operating procedures.
- To perform a variety of independent and team activities in cell assays, data analysis, documentation and interpretation of information/results.
- To perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Applicant should be registered as a 2nd year MSc/ MPhil student in a relevant area of study.
- Should hold a BSc degree in Biochemistry, Biology or Medical laboratory sciences.
- Ready to carry out research work.
- Previous laboratory experience and practices required (preferably cell isolation).
- Some research experience is desirable.
- Good analytical and computer skills is an added advantage.
- An ability to work independently on a tight schedule.
- Capability of working effectively within a team.
- Financial Support: The study offers research costs (reagents, equipment, and laboratory space work) required to answer the research questions.
- Scientific Support: The study offers mentoring and/ supervision support as well as free participation in short courses to build research skills.
- The student is expected to carry out the necessary work to answer the above mentioned research questions and produce a scientific publication of the findings.
- The student can work with the doctoral student to produce scientific publications of the findings from the main research question (optional)
- There is an opportunity for the student to proceed to do PhD studies within the cohort on condition that they produce good results and demonstrate good clinical and laboratory practices.
Eligible students must submit the following documents;
- A comprehensive CV including relevant research and work experience
- Certified transcripts and copies of post high school qualifications submitted as ONE pdf file.
- Certified Copy of National ID or Passport
Related Jobs (37)
Join Chiedza Child Care Centre on September 23, 2021
Gender, Protection and Disability Inclusion Officer on September 23, 2021 Contract
Monitoring and Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer on September 23, 2021 Contract