Media and Communication Assistant
- Post Date:March 5, 2021
- Views 456
- Career Level AssistantQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, 3 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
Under direct supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission and in coordination with the Head of Programmes, the Media and Communication Assistant will be responsible for the implementation of the various visibility initiatives, as well as all the publications and awareness activities within the mission in Zimbabwe. This position, based in Harare’s country office, will also have the day-to-day responsibility of monitoring media coverage on migration issues in-country and internationally, as well to support clear communication of the organization’s message across multiple media channels.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist the Chief of Mission in the implementation of communication activities for the mission, including a work plan specifying media to be used to disseminate programme information, main campaign message(s), message(s) format and packaging, dissemination frequency and related deadlines;
- Liaise with UN communications team and other interested media parties on all matters pertaining to information and communication materials;
- Coordinate the writing and production of key external information materials, including press releases, press kits, brochures, quarterly newsletters, situational reports and the weekly contributions to the UN Humanitarian reports;
- Liaise with the Media and Public Information Unit at Headquarters to draft feature articles and news stories for the global website, press briefing notes and Migrations magazine;
- Design and produce IOM’s Chief of Mission report in close collaboration with project coordinators and relevant project staff as well as IOM Zimbabwe yearly report;
- Maintain and update the internal IOM photo library, IOM Zimbabwe website and social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter) highlighting programmes and activities in Zimbabwe;
- Assist project coordinators in the development of donor reports and project proposals with respect to the visibility and communication;
- Attend UN Communications Group meetings and participate in joint activities as required;
- Assist the IOM’s Chief of Mission with on-going media requests and coordinate interview opportunities for the mission;
- Provide information to the Chief of Mission and other staff on media, public information, event management and visibility issues;
- Perform such other such duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Communications or Media or alternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
- Three years of professional experience working in media and/or in development of communication strategies, as well as design and implementation of information campaigns;
- Excellent spoken and written English is essential and in-depth knowledge of local culture and languages, essential;
- Ability to establish working relationships with governmental authorities, UN agencies other national/international institutions and NGOs;
- Knowledge of publishing, photography, website and design programmes preferred;
- Knowledge and understanding of IOM/UN guidelines is an advantage;
- Computer/software training would be an asset;
- High level of computer literacy in MS Office applications.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity- respects and promotes individual and cultural differences, encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency – maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism – demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies (behavioural):
- Teamwork – develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results;
- Delivering results – produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner, action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes;
- Managing and sharing knowledge – continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate;
- Accountability – takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work;
- Communication – encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- No late applications will be accepted
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 18 March 2021