Market Systems Advisor
- Post Date:February 1, 2022
- Views 289
- Career Level OtherQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Practical Action is an international development organisation putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world. We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems. Challenges made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality. We work with communities to develop ingenious, lasting and locally owned solutions for agriculture, water and waste management, climate resilience and clean energy. And we share what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big. We’re a global change-making group, working with communities who are vulnerable to poverty and climate change to support them to change their world. Together we develop innovative, community powered and locally owned solutions that achieve transformative change in lives and livelihoods. And we work with a range of partners, including governments, business and international organisations to ensure improvements are sustained and scaled and to change the systems that keep people poor and the vulnerable.
About the role
We are looking for a dynamic individual to support our global Agriculture programme to drive Practical Action’s strategy in the use of participatory market systems development (PMSD) across the organisation and support our teams across the world to make it a reality. You will be responsible for building capacity among regional and country office staff to lead the development of market systems that are inclusive and environmentally sustainable. You will provide leadership and technical advice to strengthen our use of market systems development across the organisation by developing and updating relevant tools and guidance, and facilitating learning and training for teams across our regional and country offices (RCOs). In addition you will coordinate a ‘Markets Community of Practice’, an internal platform designed to build capability across the organisation, facilitate networking and embed learning. This role would be the ideal opportunity for an experienced professional with commensurate experience, e.g. assignment overseas, or a post with a private-sector organisation that is relevant to this post.
The Market Systems Advisor will report to Practical Action’s global Head of Impact and Learning, with matrix management by the Head of Agriculture, and will be responsible for leading the organisation’s work in the use of participatory market systems development (PMSD). This is core to ensuring we achieve our agricultural change ambition as defined in the organisation’s strategy. The postholder will primarily be responsible for building capacity among regional and country office staff, leading on learning and improving our practices. This will lead to the development ofmarket systems that are inclusive and environmentally sustainable. The role may also include strengthening the organisation’s approaches to small business development and access to finance.
- To provide leadership and technical advice to strengthen our use of market systems development across the organisation. This includes developing and updating relevant tools and guidance, and facilitating learning by providing training for teams across our regional and country offices (RCOs), supporting peer-learning and sharing insights from the work of others.
- To lead a ‘Markets Community of Practice’ designed to build capability across the organisation, facilitate networking and embed learning.
- To support country teams to develop new programme propositions and proposals based on market systems development.
- To provide technical input, mentoring and support to RCOs in implementing good practice in market systems development by coordinating and managing processes, such as market system analysis, engagement with market actors and facilitation.
- Providing technical advice and guidance to RCOs, as required, for selected projects that support high quality market facilitation.
- To strengthen programmatic private sector partnerships in a number of ways: by working with RCOs to proactively identify and develop new partnerships as part of market systems development; by developing the skills and confidence of colleagues to engage with national and international companies relevant to the value chains they are working in; by mentoring country staff in a process of engagement with a company; and by collating and disseminating learning from our engagement with companies, using this to influence our internal policy and practice.
- To lead reviews and gather evidence from across the organisation on the effectiveness of our market systems facilitation approach, including but not limited to how gender and inclusion are integrated. Utilising this insight to promote our work externally and to improve our tools and approaches internally.
- To actively promote learning from Practical Action’s participatory market systems development work internally and externally across networks and the market systems development field, applying learning from other organisations to facilitate collaborations that support Practical Action to take market systems development programming to scale.
- To keep abreast of market trends/changes and risks, including climate change, associated risks, trends in engagement of the global private sector in agricultural market systems (especially those associated with the use of regenerative agriculture and engaging smallholder farmers), and trends in the use of market system tools and approaches by other leading NGOs in agriculture and beyond.
- To strengthen programmatic approaches for small business development and access to finance.
- This document sets out the key responsibilities of the role, but is not an exhaustive list of tasks and duties. We are on a journey to ensure excellence in our use of participatory market systems tools and approaches in Agriculture and beyond that in our other areas of work (water and waste management, climate resilience and access to clean energy). The needs of the role may flex within reason as we continue this journey.
To be successful in the role, the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
Experience & Knowledge
- Significant professional experience in the field of international development, preferably gained in overseas contexts.
- A postgraduate degree, in a relevant field, or commensurate experience, e.g. assignment overseas, or post with a private-sector organisation that is relevant to this job.
- Strong understanding of market systems development, ideally with experience of participatory approaches, involving smallholder farmers and integrating gender in market development.
- Practical experience of working onmarket systems development with a variety of actors: farmers, private sector, civil society and Government.
- Practical experience of working on small business development and access to finance.
- Several years’ experience in engaging with private sector actors, and therefore a strong understanding of private sector ways of working and what is needed to work in partnership with businesses.
- Excellent facilitation skills with the ability to listen, and to lead.
- Experienced in delivering training, in-person, remotely and through mentoring.
- Empathy with Practical Action’s vision, mission and values.
- Ability to travel up to 6 weeks per year.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Understanding and experience of strategy development processes.
- Knowledge of and experience in safety and security management.
- Communication skills in French, Spanish, or Arabic
Closing date for applications: Sunday 6th February 2022
Please note that should we recruit a suitable candidate before the closing date, we will close applications earlier than the specified date.
- First round of interviews to be conducted in the week commencing 14th Feburary 2022
- If needed, second round of interviews to be conducted in the week of 21st February 2022
- Assessment task TBC.
HOW TO APPLY
If you want to work for a charity with significant people ambitions, then we would like to hear from you. Please submit a copy of your CV and a supporting statement that describes your suitability for the role to [email protected]
We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as gender, race, religion, ethnic or national origin, caste, tribe, belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, or disability.
Practical Action is committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.