Market Coordinator, Southern Africa (Harare, Zimbabwe or Maputo, Mozambique)
- Post Date:October 21, 2021
- Views 356
- Career Level OtherQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Business
Reduce inequity by helping immigrants move money home by becoming the leading cross-border fintech for immigrants.
- Founded by Harvard grads / 3rd-time founders — also founded Segovia (successful exit) and GiveDirectly (>300M revenue, fastest-growing NGO).
- Top performers from top and varied organizations (e.g., Bain, Bolt, Google, McKinsey, SafeBoda, Uber, Zipline) — we like moving fast, and we hire people that do as well.
- Driven by mission, guided by values (see below) – in deed, not just word.
- Team as global as the mission, >30 languages from 25 countries (i.e., if you’re interested in learning to make Chicken Moambe, we’re the place).
Taptap Send is backed by top VCs (Spark, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital, etc.), rapidly growing and a great place for those looking for both impact and a fast-paced tech startup environment. Read more about the journey in Reid Hoffman’s words or TechCrunch article (outdated)
Launched in 2019, Taptap is tapping into a transformative shift in global finance: from banks to phones. While this has affected wealthier countries as well, it has been nothing short of a revolution for the emerging markets where the overwhelming majority of population had been unable to access digital finance previously. Its first product, Taptap Send, allows immigrants to send money home instantly and with no fee, saving money in the process. With a formal market size of >700B alone, we’ve got a lot more saving to do for our users. And that’s just the beginning….
Spark Capital, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital (Jim Breyer), Unbound (Shravin Mittal), Wamda (Fadi Ghandour), Firstminute Capital, Slow Ventures (Sam Lessin), Helios Partners (Souleymane Ba), Co-ventures (Ali Hamed), Nikesh Arora, Samih Toukan, and many other context-specific angels
The Role (6-month contract with potential for extension)
As Market Coordinator, you will help Taptap Send solidify and accelerate its growth in Southern Africa (Zimbabwe and Mozambique). The role offers the chance to partner with an early-stage, hyper-growth startup where you will directly have an impact on the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. You will report to the Business Development Manager for sub- Saharan Africa.
- Work with telecoms and other key partners (e.g. aggregators, banks, central bank) to solidify existing and build new partnerships in Southern Africa
- Support growth and business development efforts, including:
- Conduct customer research with transfer senders and recipients on a regular basis.
- Brainstorm on new opportunities and partnerships that can help us deliver on our value proposition in Southern Africa.
- Hold various face to face meetings with key individuals.
- Recommending marketing and communication channels to gain visibility in Southern Africa.
- Visiting mobile money pick-up locations (POSs) across Zimbabwe and Mozambique to understand service performance and overall customer experience
- Driving operational implementation with payment providers and ambassador programs on the ground.
- Finding test senders and recipients for cross border transactions (sourcing users across various phone and payment networks)
- 1-3+ years in a high-growth environment or world-class firm
- ‘Right to work’ in Zimbabwe or Maputo
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Portuguese an added advantage
Also, you are:
- Outgoing – you should love speaking to people and enjoy building relationships with customers and community members across cultures
- Execution oriented – we are an early-stage startup with an “impact-first” philosophy and a lot to be done. You should be able to overturn objections, accelerate “point A to point B”, and sprint towards outcomes
- Poised – the role will require you to be the face of the company in front of various partners
- Competitive salary
- Flexible hours
- Regular team events
- Impact first.
- Team next.
- Accept reality.
- Propose solutions.
- Win with grit.
- Be proactively candid, with yourself and others.
- Love the particular.
- Own it.
- Create positive energy.
- Maybe, even have fun.
Note: we recognize imposter syndrome is real – any candidate that does not perfectly fit every characteristic of this role is still strongly encouraged to apply.
Related Jobs (34)
2 x Projects Coordinator (Midlands Province & Matebeleland North) on December 5, 2021 Full Time