Legal Consultant - Data Protection
- Post Date:March 1, 2022
- Views 136
- Career Level ConsultantQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest German non-governmental organizations in development co- operation and emergency relief. Primarily in cooperation with local partner organizations, our task is to contribute to the improvement in nutritional and income base for the low-income populations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe since 1980. Sector focus is on Water Sanitation and Hygiene, Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods and when necessary, Emergency Response
Welthungerhilfe is seeking for a Legal Consultant (Data Protection); Please kindly refer to the terms of reference for more information on this advert; Terms of Reference (ToRs) Legal Consultation on Data Protection and Privacy Legislation (ZWE1163)
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest, privately held, non-denominational, and politically independent German non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in development cooperation and emergency relief. Primarily in cooperation with local partner organizations, its task is to contribute to improved income and nutrition for the poorest populations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe almost continuously since 1980. Currently, the organization together with its partners has projects in urban and rural communities in seven provinces. Its focus is on food and nutrition security including WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene), resilience, and when necessary, emergency response. Welthungerhilfe Zimbabwe’s work involves the use of various tools and technologies that facilitate the collection and processing of data collected from its project participants.
Purpose and objective of the consultancy
Following the promulgation of Zimbabwe’s Data Protection Act in December 2021, Welthungerhilfe seeks to gain a comprehensive appreciation of this new legislation, other related legal instruments on privacy and data, and their implications on its projects. This will ensure full compliance with Zimbabwean legal frameworks on digital development, data and privacy protection. Specific focus will be paid to the impact of data protection and privacy legislation on digital platforms and solutions used by Welthungerhilfe that have been launched or are under development for Zimbabwean projects.
Tasks of the consultant
With the support of the Welthungerhilfe Zimbabwe management and compliance teams, the consultant will be expected to fulfill the following tasks: Review the Data Protection Act of Zimbabwe and elaborate on its implications on project activities that include data collection, processing, and storage in the engagement of project participants; Outline the correlation between the Data Protection Act and current, relevant legislation adopted for data protection such as GDPR; Identify and provide summaries on other legal instruments in Zimbabwe enforcing data protection and privacy; With respect to data protection and privacy, provide guidance on the roles, responsibilities, and liabilities of Welthungerhilfe as an international NGO when using digital tools in project implementation; With respect to data protection and privacy, provide guidance on the roles, responsibilities, and liabilities of:
- Welthungerhilfe in supporting projects implemented by local NGOs;
- local NGOs implementing projects;
- Public and private sector partners in facilitating data collection, processing, and storage in NGO projects.
Results / outputs of the consultancy
- A comprehensive report that includes: A detailed review of Zimbabwe’s Data Protection Act that carries explanations on its effect on data protection and privacy efforts for Welthungerhilfe in its projects;
- The relationship between GDPR and local laws on data protection and privacy;
- Details of any other legal instruments in Zimbabwe enforcing data protection and privacy;
- Clear guidance on Standard Operating Procedures related to data protection and privacy, data collection, processing and storage citing the relevant legislation and detailing all relevant issues relating to partner engagement identified throughout the duration of the consultancy (this shall include resources for further guidance).
Timeframe of the consultancy: The Consultant shall be contracted for a period of 2 weeks starting from the 14th of March 2022 until the 25th of March 2022. The consultant shall provide 10 working days with flexible working hours.
Lines of communication: The consultant shall work closely with representatives from the Welthungerhilfe Zimbabwe management and Welthungerhilfe compliance team, and report to the Welthungerhilfe Zimbabwe Head of Programmes. Progress updates shall be shared with the respective representatives.
The consultant shall be paid on submission and approval by the Head of Programmes of the deliverables set in the contract. Remuneration will be set at a daily rate to be negotiated with the shortlisted candidates. The consultant shall be responsible for taxation. Where travels are needed, Welthungerhilfe will provide support in line with the internal Welthungerhilfe regulations for the traveling time.
- A university degree or postgraduate qualification in a relevant field such as Law, Information Systems, Information Technology, IT Law or Business Law;
- Extensive experience in the field of IT & Data Protection Law is required, with proven record of consulting for agencies and companies;
- Experience in dealing with data protection and privacy issues, and developing codes of conduct for data collection, processing, and storage;
- Experience consulting for donor funded NGO programmes;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in guiding NGOs on data protection and IT regulations;
- Experience working with Welthungerhilfe or any of our partners a plus;.
Supporting documents required
- Profile of the consultant / company (maximum 1 page) explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Relevant experience / cases (max 2 page); Recent CV (for individual consultants);
- A financial proposal specifying a total budget amount (including a breakdown of costs for fee, and number of working days) should submit a letter of motivation and their CVs.
Send your application to [email protected]
Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email. Please note that CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap. Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 7 March 2022