Lead Civil Engineer (Irrigation)
- Post Date:September 19, 2021
- Views 309
- Career Level EngineerQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Job categories: Engineering
Vacancy code: VA/2021/B5329/22477
Department/office: AFR, KEMCO, Zimbabwe
Duty station: Chimanimani/Chipinge, Zimbabwe
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist
Contract level: LICA Specialist-10
Duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Application Deadline: 27-Sep-2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Zimbabwe
The UNOPS Office in Zimbabwe falls under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi-Country Office). Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the KEMC manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of infrastructure, procurement, and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and several Island states.
UNOPS manages a range of infrastructure projects in Zimbabwe in different sectors including education, health, agriculture, transport applying different implementation approaches such as labor-based and outsourced designers/contractors but always with direct supervision from UNOPS.
Following the devastation caused to life, livelihoods, and property by tropical storm Idai in March 2019, the WB has allocated up to US$ 75 million to finance a recovery project for Zimbabwe and the African Development Bank has allocated US$ 25 million. The projects address both early and mid-term recovery needs in multiple sectors (livelihoods, health, education, agriculture, transport). UNOPS manages the WB funds and has established a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to engage multiple UN partner organizations to deliver specific components of ZIRP. UNOPS is the Implementation Agency for the AfDB project.
UNOPS is in the advanced stages of negotiations with the Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Resettlement, Zimbabwe and IFAD to support the implementation of rehabilitation works for irrigation schemes in Manicaland province.
Background Information – Job Specific:
UNOPS is looking for a Lead Civil Engineer, with specific expertise in the development and rehabilitation of irrigation systems to head all agricultural works under the UNOPS Zimbabwe portfolio. The Lead Civil Engineer will act as a sectoral Pillar Lead.
The Lead Civil Engineer must be able to apply with direction, the duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria, given below.
The incumbent will have regular travel to different districts and will work in close collaboration with other sectoral pillar leads.
The Lead Civil Engineer will work under the guidance and supervision of and report to the Infrastructure Manager to direct and monitor the activities under his/her pillar which include a mix of works implemented by contractors and by direct implementation through community workers.
This list is not representative of all the duties required but indicates typical duties and responsibilities.
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of projects’ activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post projects’ requirements such as maintenance).
- Manage the information flows between the Infrastructure/Project Managers and the rest of the construction teams.
Delivery and Performance:
- Implement approved work packages (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Infrastructure/Project Managers
- Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary.
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers.
- Advise the Infrastructure Manager of any deviations from the plan.
- Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to clients and stakeholders is achieved. Manage and review product quality and ensure products are accepted.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of service providers.
- Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to the supervisor. Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business cases to the supervisor.
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions).
- Prepare Checkpoint Reports and Monthly Progress Reports.
- Ensure that all expenditures comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel.
- Manage and remain accountable for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports).
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice.
- Actively interact with other project management teams, Engineers, quantity surveyors etc. Complete lessons learned as per reporting format.
- Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format.
- Lead and motivate the different teams under the pillar.
- Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established.
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted.
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Supervisor.
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff). Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UN DSS standards.
- Understand and respect National ownership and capacity:
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified staff.
- Look for ways to build the capacity of local counterparts.
Service to Others:
- As the projects are representative of the United Nations it should be firmly rooted in the principle of service to others. This should be considered carefully in the development of project plans.
- Accountability for results and the use of resources:
- The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or process is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the Lead Civil Engineer to raise the issue to a supervisor.
- Ensure that the project produces the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits.
- Maintain relevant records and files onsite.
- Under the guidance of the Infrastructure Manager, prepare and circulate periodic reports on all aspects of the progress of the implementation (preliminary activities, design, construction, etc.).
- Monitor implementation works progress.
- Notify the Infrastructure Manager promptly on all matters which require immediate decisions and/or actions, particularly aspects which are not within the Lead Civil Engineer ’s authority.
- The Lead Civil Engineer shall be responsible for the progress control and quality control of construction works. S/He will be responsible for daily onsite supervision of all works (contractors and community workers) and thereby ensure onsite quality control of construction works.
Additionally, the Lead Civil Engineer will be responsible for:
- Daily coordination with relevant stakeholders such as other UN agencies, NGOs, Community and government counterparts and contractors.
- Quality Control
- Schedule and Time Management
- Providing relevant Information to enable reporting in line with the provisions of this Design Document
- Closing the Project
- Perform other related duties assigned by the Infrastructure Manager and corresponding Project Managers.
- Advanced University Degree in Civil Engineering or other relevant discipline is required.
- Bachelors’ degree in Civil Engineering or a related discipline with additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Postgraduate qualifications in Civil Engineering or a related area will be an advantage.
- PRINCE 2 Foundation Certification is desired.
- A membership of a related professional association is an advantage.
- A minimum of five years of experience in development and coordination in the agricultural sector is required.
- At least 2 years experience in management, site supervision, monitoring and evaluation is required.
- Candidates with experience working on International /local projects in disaster prone areas will be preferred.
- Experience in the contracting and/or consulting environment is an advantage.
- Experience in implementing and delivering projects for international organizations is an added advantage.
- Procurement experience with exposure to public procurement processes is a distinct advantage.
- Experience in writing reports, performing data analyses, and drafting documents is desired.
- Strong problem-solving skills are desired.
- Experience working in multicultural teams is an asset.
- Experience in managing teams is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communication, presentation, and client service skills are desired.
- Fluency in English language is required
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization.
- Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Integrity & Inclusion
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same.
- Upholds organizational and ethical norms.
- Maintains high standards of trustworthiness.
- Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit.
- Collaborates and supports the development of others.
- For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first.
- Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal.
- Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas.
- Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them.
- Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment.
- Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements.
- Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior.
- Performance is consistent, even under pressure.
- Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions.
- Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks.
- Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner.
- Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others.
- Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge.
- Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- This position is based in a family duty station
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Zimbabwean Nationals or persons with valid residence permits
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type – International Individual Contractor
- Contract level – Local ICA Specialist 10 (ICS 10)
- Contract duration – Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Related Jobs (13)
Strategic Information Evaluation and Learning Director on October 14, 2021 Contract
Assistant Soap Manager on October 12, 2021