- Post Date:June 28, 2022
- Views 498
- Career Level TechnicianQualification DiplomaExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Health Care
Location: Epworth Centre Laboratory
Established in 1987, Population Services Zimbabwe (PSZ) is an affiliate of MSI Reproductive Choices, and is one of the largest specialised Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) organisations in Zimbabwe. PSZ complements the Ministry of Health and Child Care in the provision of quality, and affordable general health and SRH services in all provinces of Zimbabwe. In line with its expansion strategy, PSZ seeks to expand its talent pool to include the following: Laboratory Technician.
The laboratory technician is the technical lead for the laboratory services within PSZ. The incumbent will oversee all the operations of the clinical laboratory while being the lead in performing the various laboratory test. S/he will be responsible for internal and quality assurance of the various laboratory tests offered. The Laboratory Technician will be responsible for client data privacy. Moreover, s/he will be required to input the strategic business planning for the unit as the technical lead. The role also involves analysis of data over time including generating income vs. costs reports and analyses and developing recommendations as appropriate.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following among other duties:
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the clinical laboratory;
- Collects client specimens which include blood, non-blood specimens and performs specialized procedures at point of contact with patients as and when necessary;
- Registers client information in the Laboratory Information System (LIS) as needed;
- Performs and documents daily equipment function by checking and calibrating to ensure that it is operating efficiently and providing accurate results, ensuring that all equipment meets safety standards;
- Runs prescribed routine and high complexity assays on manual and on automated platforms in line with Standard Operating Procedures and adhering to quality control to include IQC and proficiency testing;
- Monitors test quality, accuracy, timely testing and release of results through tracking turnaround times, pending tests and updating daily work;
- Validates test results through correlation with test parameters (e.g. Hb/HCT, anion gap, etc.), to ensure accuracy and determine reasonableness of results prior to reporting of test results;
- Reports test results via phone or electronic mail to ensure timeous dispatch of data required by health and medical professionals;
- Participates in external quality assurance programs by conforming internal testing processes and quality against other laboratories;
- Assures that the department has adequate supply of testing materials by placing orders on time and ensuring cost-effective utilisation;
- Communicating with supervisory clinical director and team leaders regarding laboratory services;
- Implementing new programs, testing procedures, methodologies, and laboratory equipment;
- Growing laboratory business operations through marketing of services and finding clients;
- Managing other clinical laboratory staff as appropriate
To succeed in this role, you must have:
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences;
- Valid practicing certificate with Medical Laboratory and Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe;
- At least five years working experience and as lead laboratory technician;
- Ability to work with wide variety of modern laboratory equipment;
- Experience in all departments of Laboratory services;
- Excellent skills in MS-Word and excel;
- Excellent communication skills written and oral communication including report writing;
- Good data analytics and customer care skills;
- Short courses (in-class or online) in public health focusing on SRHR an added advantage;
- Excellent business acumen and marketing skills.
Applications, quoting “Job applied for – e.g. Laboratory Technician in the email subject section” should include a cover letter and a curriculum vitae with three (3) referees. Emails should be directed to: [email protected]
Early applications are encouraged as shortlisting and interviews will be on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted applicants being considered for interview will be contacted.
PSZ is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of vulnerable persons and safeguarding employees and communities from sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse. PSZ does not solicit for payments in any form at any stage of the recruitment process.
The successful candidate will undergo relevant background checks and will be required to commit in writing to comply with the MSI safeguarding guidelines.
Deadline: 1 July 2022