Individual Consultant - National Coordinator Stockholm+50 Consultation Workshops
- Post Date:March 1, 2022
- Views 476
- Career Level ConsultantQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Location : Harare, ZIMBABWE
Application Deadline : 03-Mar-22 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 14-Mar-2022
Duration of Initial Contract : 35 Working days over 4 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 35 Working days over 4 months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UN General Assembly has agreed to convene an international meeting entitled “Stockholm+50: a healthy planet for the prosperity of all – our responsibility, our opportunity”, in Stockholm on 2 and 3 June 2022, during the week of World Environment Day. The meeting will commemorate the 50 years since the convening of the UN Conference on the Human Environment. It is also designed to help accelerate the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals during the Decade of Action including through a sustainable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. The Government of Sweden will host the meeting with the support of the Government of Kenya. The meeting will mutually reinforce the commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the creation of the UN Environment Programme, [email protected]
The international meeting and its preparation will provide for the effective participation of all States Members of the United Nations and UN specialized agencies and parties to the multilateral environment agreements with participation encouraged at the highest possible level. The international meeting will comprise an opening segment including a commemorative moment dedicated to the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment held in Stockholm in 1972, as well as four plenary meetings, three leadership dialogues, and a closing segment.
The leadership dialogues will be designed to be collaborative and multi-stakeholder with a focus on recommendations that contribute to the environmental dimension of sustainable development to accelerate the implementation of commitments in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development, including a sustainable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. UNDP has been asked to facilitate national consultations using resources provided by the Government of Sweden and leveraging existing in-country programming and partnerships including through its support to Nationally Determined Contributions processes (e.g. UNDP’s Climate Promise) and broader work on Nature, Climate, Energy and other integrated SDG themes.
It is against this background that the UNDP Zimbabwe seeks to contract a consultant to coordinate, facilitate/rapporteur online/offline consultation workshops and produce a national consultation report to be submitted to UNDP and contribute to the Stockholm+50 Global Synthesis report.
Objective of the Assignment
The assignment’s objective is to coordinate, facilitate/rapporteur online/offline consultation workshops and produce a national consultation report to be submitted to UNDP and contribute to a Stockholm+50 Global Synthesis report.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
The Consultant will function under the overall guidance of the UNDP Head of Poverty Reduction, Environment and Climate Change with direct day to day support from the Environment, Climate Change and Energy Specialist. The Consultant will be responsible for delivering key tasks in the following areas:
- initial planning and coordination to define the consultation structure (i.e., number of in-person/online live consultations), and to identify speakers/facilitators, participants, and prepare the consultation agenda, data and communications strategy;
- liaise and coordinate with core partners (e.g., Embassy of Sweden, RCO) throughout Secure venue, draft concept note, prepare budget for in-person consultations;
- support gender mainstreaming throughout the consultation process. Ensure optimal engagement of UNDP CO gender focal point, National Gender Institution in country, and UNFCCC National Gender Focal Point to facilitate the integration of gender equality and women’s leadership considerations into key outputs, deliverables, and activities;
- promote the national consultation in advance including save-the-date, invitations, sharing of background information including on NDCs and other relevant policy frameworks, and population of SparkBlue virtual consultation space;
- disseminate forms and information products through relevant communication channels to support the collection and analysis of complementary information on national consultation activities;
- support the analysis and contextualization of data collected for consultation activities;
- liaise with Stockholm+50 team and ensure all required information is completed on time;
- organize main in-person/live/streamed consultations over 1-3 day period or longer;
- facilitate ongoing post-consultation online discussion on SparkBlue virtual platform;
- administer and maintain SparkBlue national consultation page with relevant content and information. Coordinate moderators and their daily interventions. Create communication strategies and execute to identify and drive relevant stakeholders to the platform.
- document and report back on results of consultations;
- coordinate communication activities necessary to capture meaningful content from the consultation(s), such as photographs and video, and coordinate communication needs;
- draft Final Stockholm+50 National Consultation report synthesizing the consultation workshop reports;
- Ensure ongoing post-Conference follow-up.
Inception report detailing the methodology to be used for the assignment, workshop agendas, materials/handouts, required translations, participants registers and other preparatory requirements, timelines for the completion of the assignment;
Coordinate, facilitate/rapporteur online/offline consultation workshops and produce reports for each workshop including participants lists and contact details;
Post conference follow ups and Final Stockholm+50 National Consultation report synthesizing on the consultation workshop reports.
Payment will be based on deliverables as indicated below.
- 20 % upon submission and approval of inception report detailing the methodology to be used for the assignment, workshop agendas, materials/handouts, required translations, participants registers and other preparatory requirements, timelines for the completion of the assignment (due within 10 days from contract signatur);
- 40% upon completion of coordination, facilitation of online/offline consultations workshops and production of reports for each workshop including participants lists and contact details (due within 50 days after contract signature);
- 40% upon completion of post conference follow ups and submission of Final Stockholm+50 National Consultation report synthesizing on the consultation workshop reports (within 70 days after contract signature).
Institutional Arrangements for Management of the Consultancy
The principal responsibility for managing this assignment lies with the UNDP Zimbabwe country Office. UNDP will mobilise internal technical expertise, including from Regional/HQ teams as needed, to support the consultant’s work. UNDP will support the consultant’s engagement with stakeholders, arrange for meetings, field visits and coordinate with stakeholders and Government officials.
Under the overall guidance of the UNDP Head of Poverty Reduction, Environment and Climate Change with direct day to day support from the Environment, Climate Change and Energy Specialist, the consultant will lead the delivery of this assignment.
The consultancy is expected to run between 14 March 2022 and 31 July 2022 during which the consultant is expected to provide an estimated 35 days of services. The 35 days is an estimate but it is the responsibility of the Consultancy to estimate the required time to accomplish the deliverables. Payment will be made only for the lump sum contract amount despite the number of days finally worked.
Impact of the Results
The purpose of the consultant is to coordinate, facilitate/rapporteur online/offline consultation workshops and produce a national consultation report to be submitted to UNDP and contribute to a Stockhol+50 Global Synthesis report.
- Promote the highest standards of ethics and integrity;
- Support creativity and innovation;
- Help create an enabling environment for open communication;
- Share knowledge and support a culture of learning;
- Demonstrate fairness and transparency.
- Excellent drafting, documentation and communication skills in English;
- In-depth knowledge of environmental issues and research skills;
- Proven record on similar work at the National/Regional/International levels.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced Degree (Masters or PhD) in Environmental Science, Renewable Energy, Ecology or related field. A PhD will be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of progressive experience in Environmental, Renewable Energy, Ecosystems, Biodiversity research and writing;
- Experience in review and or drafting high-level documents in the same area such as National Communications, National Policies, Nationally Determined Contributions, State of The Environment reports, Human Development Reports, National Adaptation Plans, Climate Change Strategies is required;
- At least 8 years of consultancy experience in development work or related to the above fields required;
- Traceable and demonstrable experience in facilitating high level environment, climate change, renewable energy and or development dialogues;
- Knowledge and experience of broader environmental issues and the history of the Stockholm conference;
- Experience in working with UNDP and or other United Nations organizations will be an added advantage;
- Experience in working with multi-disciplinary teams;
- Good understanding of international treaties and protocols, national and state government priorities, policies and planning process in environment, natural resources, climate change and or renewable energy.
- An excellent command of English is required.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified individuals should submit the following to demonstrate their interest and qualifications:
- Personal CV indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
- Detailed Technical proposal with clear methodology explaining how the assignment will be delivered;
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided in the link provided below. The cost of in-country travel to attend workshops and meetings (outside Harare) if required will be handled directly by the UNDP Country Office.
Please note that all the documents below must be submitted as one PDF file.
Applicants will be evaluated based on the Cumulative Analysis methodology [weighted scoring method], where the award of the contract will be made to the candidate whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria weight; [70%];
Financial Criteria weight; [30%].
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% in the technical evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
General Conditions of Contract for the consultancy firms: https://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/corporate/Procurement/english/UNDP%20GCs%20for%20ICs%20-%20March2019.pdf
Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability: https://www.dropbox.com/s/789q1hvdrdgwqqc/PPG_Cons_Letter%20of%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx?dl=0
Related Jobs (19)
Team Lead, Youth Political Attitudes and Behavior Assessment on June 22, 2022 Contract
Systems Strengthening Lead on June 22, 2022