Individual Consultant - Electrician under the China Post Disaster Restoration Initiative
- Post Date:May 3, 2021
- Views 410
- Career Level ConsultantQualification DiplomaExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Location : Harare, ZIMBABWE
Application Deadline : 07-May-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 21-May-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : 5 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 5 months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
This project arises from the need to address the impact of Cyclone Idai which heavily impacted on the Eastern Districts in Zimbabwe, particularly causing damage to homes, public and private infrastructure in the affected communities. An estimated 54,000 households or 270,000 people in total were affected, of which 100,000 are children (OCHA March 2019). The goal of the project is to rehabilitate or rebuild community critical infrastructure in Chimanimani and Chipinge districts and restore access to basic services.
Working through selected partners on the ground, the project will procure and deliver roofing material for 10% of the 2,372 homes (targeting the most vulnerable households, roofing materials for buildings (toilets, teachers’ houses and classroom blocks for 22 of the 143 schools, support 10 units (at Muchadziya, Biriwiri, Ngaone, Kopera, Paidamoyo, Gumira and Nyunga heath facilities including 8 health staff houses at Biriwiri health center) and shelters for 10 community markets and centres; provide training and equipment to local beneficiaries and quality assurance for the installation process.
Guided by the basic Human Rights principles and Safe buildings standards, the project will benefit communities in Chipinge and Chimanimani who lost access to community infrastructure and housing.
In this regard, UNDP is seeking the services of a Consultant having experience of providing occupational Safety, Health, and Environment training and monitoring adherence to guidelines on an ongoing basis compliant with Government of Zimbabwe regulations on health and safety during the project inception phase.
Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the assignment, the Consultant is required to provide the following services:
- To disconnect and remove all electricals necessary to allow roof repairs to be done;
- To reinstate and install all electrical work as before or better in conformity with electrical practice;
- To carry out PATs (Practical Acceptance Tests) on commissioning all repaired works;
- To maintain ALL SHE requirements in the execution of all works including Covid – 19 requirements;
- To assist with any other electrical and technical assistance as may be required from time to time;
- To give daily updates then produce weekly and monthly reports;
- To carry out estimations for Bill of Quantities of electrical materials and works required to electrify the roofs which require replacements.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Team leader, Poverty Reduction, Environment and Climate Change who will be the quality assurer. The Country Office Resident Representative or his designate will be responsible for signing off all deliverables under this contract.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Strong technical skills and analytical capacities, sound judgment;
- Strong technical problem-solving skills;
- Ability to understand and establish priorities and work by objectives.
- Ability to work in a team and establish effective working relationships with people from different nationalities and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work under stress and work overtime when required;
- Self-Management and Emotional intelligence;
- Conflict Management/Negotiating and resolving Disagreements;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making, builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical engineering or related fields or Postgraduate Diploma in Electrical engineering.
- At least 5 years of technical experience in related field;
- Experience of working in disaster settings a distinct advantage;
- Direct experience with the United Nations Health, Safety and Environment Management Systems is an added advantage;
- Ability to produce Standing Operating Procedures in electrical safety is an advantage;
- Professional in working with government counterparts, team player;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Applicants are requested to upload copies of:
- Latest CV highlighting the relevant experience. Prospective candidates could apply either as a team or as individuals. When applying as a team, the CVs of all experts in the team should be provided, along with the application;
- Updated P11 Form template of which can be downloaded from this website – http://www.sas.undp.org/Documents/P11_Personal_history_form.doc;
- A detailed technical proposal on undertaking the tasks and evidence of previous work;
Please group all your documents (CV, P11, Technical Proposal and certificates) into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document. Incomplete applications will not be given consideration.
Applicants must reply to the mandatory questions asked by the system when submitting the application
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
The Consultant will be evaluated based on qualifications and the years of experience, as outlined in the qualifications/requirements section of the ToR. In addition, the Consultant will also be evaluated on the following methodology:
- Technical Criteria weight: 70%;
- Financial Criteria weight: 30%;
The award of the contract shall be made to the Consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the Terms of Reference.
“UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff, and equal opportunities for people with disabilities. Well qualified candidates, particularly women and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply”.
Related Jobs (13)
Medical Laboratory Scientist – Bulawayo Laboratory on July 26, 2021 Full Time