Head of Project (Harare)
- Post Date:May 3, 2021
- Views 502
- Career Level ExecutiveQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest German non-governmental Organisations in development co operation and emergency relief. Primarily in co-operation with local partner Organisations, our task is to contribute to the improvement in nutritional and income base for the low-income populations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe since 1980. Sector focus is on WASH, Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods and when necessary, Emergency response.
Welthungerhilfe (WHH), World Vision (WV) and Christian Blind Mission (CBM) will implement a 24-month action aimed at improving disaster preparedness, early response and access to inclusive education in five districts of Zimbabwe (Buhera, Chimanimani, Chipinge, Nkayi and Tsholotsho) facing multifaceted natural and man-made crises. The districts are disproportionately affected by a combination of disasters, including droughts, floods, cyclones, and hailstorms that affect access to education services and erode disaster preparedness capacities. The situation in these districts has been worsened by the COVID-19 (C-19) pandemic and measures to control the spread which have closed off income generation activities and suppressed the capacities and opportunities for people to respond to disasters. The education sector continues to be less prioritized during disasters as evidenced by the fact that only 25% of primary students continued learning during C-19 Lockdowns. In recent months, Zimbabwe experienced a series of climate induced Tropical Storms, which, along with droughts, have become a recurring phenomenon, affecting communities that are least able to absorb their impact and warranting the application of forecast-based actions as communities grapple to maintain fragile development gains. The chosen interventions will focus: 1. Promoting access to inclusive quality education for children affected by natural and/or man-made crises; 2. Increasing the preparedness of 250 schools; 3. Enhancing forecast-based action and financing; and 4. Improving logistics preparedness at local level. The action rides on synergies with existing localized solutions through community-based structures and is linked to other humanitarian and development programs for greater sustainability. WHH will undertake its project activities in the 3 districts of Tsholotsho, Nkayi and Chimanimani.
The Head of Project will be responsible for the overall management oversight of the ECHO funded SCALE DP Project in Tsholotsho, Nkayi and Chipinge.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the overall in-country project coordination for all activities of the in the districts;
- Co-ordinate technical, financial and administrative aspects of Project Implementation related activities.;
- Follow-up on the project/program area monitoring system in close cooperation with the monitoring team;
- Regularly monitor the execution of Project Implementation related activities and results, provide feed-back to the Management and district team leaders;
- Compile and document relevant information for collaborative activities and missions;
- Design implements and documents meetings, workshops, seminars and other events related to the program’s/project’s field of activities;
- Support short term consultants and experts of the project/program to fulfil their tasks during their assignment;
to the project’s/program’s strategic development;
- Provide technical advice on Project Implementation to the District Coordinator, support teams and counterpart;
- Develop and organize quality assurance;
- Plan Project Implementation related project/program activities and ensure knowledge transfer; Coordinate the planning of project/program activities within the defined area of operation;
- Develop project designs, including the preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises;
- Formulate project action plans and synchronise between the planning and budgeting system;
- Develop technical concepts, guidelines, manuals, and procedures, which are ready to be applied; Leadership;
- Manages staff according to WHH leadership principles, staff policies and WHH strategy;
- Lead the entire in-country WHH SCALE-DP team and facilitate support from the consortium technical advisors on DP and EiEs;
- Adherence to the Consortium’s established protocols through continuous collaboration with WVI and CBM;
- Represents WHH in meetings with relevant national and international stakeholders and partners such as UN bodies, MSD, Gvt departments and other NGOS;
- Expands WHH network with relevant stakeholders from civil society, government, and academia within the context of projects in responsibility;
- Build relationships and coordinate with project stakeholders (including local authorities and communities in the ECHO project implementation;
- Establishes good working relationships with donors and other stakeholders in-country for emergency, rehabilitation, and development programs in coordination with the Country Office;
- Report all security relevant issues and information to the Security Officers and the Management.
Qualifications, skills and experience required
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in a course related to the program’s goals, such as Development Studies, Disaster Risk Management ;
- At least seven years of relevant experience in the areas related to Disaster Risk Reduction, Forecast Based Financing, Natural Hazards, Vulnerability Assessment, Climate Change and Education in Emergencies or a similar position within a National or International NGO of which 3 years should be in a leadership position;
- Familiarity with disaster risk management institutions and governance concepts, emergency preparedness and recovery strategies and use of Crisis Modifiers;
- Proven record of increasingly responsible experience in planning and managing technical co-operation strategies and relevant learning, knowledge management and. advocacy programmes in disaster reduction, emergency response and education in emergencies;
- Application of theoretical knowledge in the design, management and evaluation of complex, multi-disciplinary capacity building programmes involving national governments, civil society and international organisations;
- Well proven analytical and writing skills;
- Demonstrated abilities and contributions to policy and guideline formulation, resource mobilisation, team building, team leadership and management,
- Experience in coordination of complex field activities, supervising staff and project management;
- Strong skills in report writing, Financial management and administration.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation and their CVs to [email protected] Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap. Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 7 May 2021
Related Jobs (46)
Governance and Internal Control Review Consultancy on September 17, 2021 Consultancy