Governance and Women's Political Participation Consultant
- Post Date:March 30, 2021
- Views 310
- Career Level ConsultantQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Location: Harare, ZIMBABWE
Application Deadline: 01-Apr-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category: Gender Equality
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 12-Apr-2021
Duration of Initial Contract: 8 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 8 months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women programming in Zimbabwe aims to create an enabling environment for gender equality and women’s empowerment by supporting the Government of Zimbabwe to fulfil its obligations in the national Constitution, and by building the capacity of women to claim their rights.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the supervisor, the Programme advisor in Governance and Women’s Participation provides programme management support the effective management of the UN Women work in the areas of Women’s Political Participation and Decision Making, Gender and Elections, Women and Security Sector participation, capacity support for the Gender Commission, Electoral Commission and National, Peace and Reconciliation Commission, alignment of laws to the Constitution, strengthening civil society accountability for implementation for gender equality provisions in the Constitution and inter-governmental processes at regional, sub-regional and international levels. He /She supports the delivery of UN Women results by ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and by analyzing results achieved during implementation. S/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations teams, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation.
SCOPE OF WORK
Provision of top quality advisory and programme development services:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country related to governance and women’s participation in leadership and decision making prepare substantive inputs to the UN Women country office programme planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme interventions.
- Design and implement UN Women work and engagement with independent commissions and in particular the Gender Commission, the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission and the National Peace and Reconciliation Commission.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectorial areas assigned.
- Implement UN Women programmes on increased participation of women leadership in both elected and appointed institutions and bodies.
- Design and formulation of programme initiatives within governance, gender and security sector curriculum, women’s participation and decision-making institutional strengthening of the
- Gender Commission gender and elections, translating UN Women’s priorities into national interventions.
- Provide programme advisory support to the Office Management within the thematic area/portfolio assigned.
- Provide support towards international processes at regional, sub regional and international levels including state party reporting.
- Ensure synergies, cooperation and linkages with other selected UN Women Programmes.
- Ensure integration and coordination of the programme with the other results areas of UN Women’s work in Zimbabwe.
Management of the Governance and Women’s Participation Portfolio and supervision of staff and consultants
- Under the guidance and oversight of the supervisor, exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, and coordination aspects of the programmes/projects under his/her responsibility.
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results.
- Manage the portfolio of on-going programmes/projects through technical monitoring and administrative and financial supervision ensuring the proper application of a monitoring system to track progress on program results and indicators.
- Lead programmes/projects appraisal and evaluation according to results-based management requirements.
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of programme staff, project staff, experts and consultants working as part of the technical assistance team.
- Responsible for the timely preparation and quality control of all substantive technical reports, briefs and required documents.
- Ensure timely production and submission of all partial and/or progress reports by all members of the project team, contractors and project partners.
- Conduct field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of portfolio.
- Ensure project work plans are accurately reflected in ATLAS, in close collaboration with Finance Officer.
- Liaise with relevant UN Women Thematic Section in the Regional Office in Nairobi and Headquarters, notably those in policy and program divisions for effectively technical support, project management and quality assurance, to ensure adequate provision of services, flow of information and the project’s compliance with its obligations
Inter-agency coordination support:
- Provide substantive support to the Deputy Representative, on inter-agency coordination related activities on governance and women’s leadership.
- Take part in country level Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA)/UNDAF processes and similar exercises related to the Resident Coordinator system ensuring that gender concerns relating to governance, gender and security, elections and women’s participation are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process.
- Prepare substantive inputs to CCA/ UNDAF and other documents thoroughly analysing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the region.
- Prepare analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women’s program experiences in support of UN women inter-agency coordination role.
- Work closely with UN Agencies participating in the ZIMECO elections project in particular UNDP.
Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization support:
- Implement the Office partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes within the areas assigned.
- Create and coordinate partnerships with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, constitutional independent commission, security academic institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Follow up on resource on mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the UN Women Representative.
Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Support the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks related to the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners.
- Identify and synthesis best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals in governance, gender mainstreaming in security, women participation and decision making;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Providing substantial contributions to communication and media briefs on the implementation of this sector work.
Duties and Responsibilities
This Consultant will be based at UN Women and will be expected to provide the following support to the NPRC, ZEC, Gender commission in the implementation of the following specific activities:
Zimbabwe Gender Commission
- Prepare and support Zimbabwe Gender Commission in holding a gender and human rights training for POLAD.
- Develop and support the ZGC with a dissemination strategy and plan for sharing the publications developed by the ZGC in 2020 on the COVID 19 response and identify specific activities to upscale on the efforts.
- Develop through consultation matrix on UN Agencies support to the Gender Commission.
- Develop TOR and support Gender Commission with candidates training and mentorship programmes in preparation for the 2021 elections.
- Develop TOR and support the holding of a meeting on legal reforms to end violence against women in elections.
National Peace and Reconciliation Commission
- Support the finalisation and dissemination of the NPRC Gender and Inclusion Policy
- Support with technical review and inputs into the NPRC Standard Operating Procedures on Sexual Violence and Exploitation.
- Develop or adapt in partnership with International Centre for Transitional Justice curriculum to support capacity building of the Commission and secretariat from a gender perspective.
- Support the Commission to set up a Gender Focal Person System and provide facilitation services for planned capacity building efforts.
- Conduct fundraising efforts specifically earmarked to support the gender mainstreaming efforts of the Commission.
Zimbabwe Electoral Commission
- Support the finalisation of the ZIMECO proposal and link implementation to the UN Women, women in politics fund.
- Represent UN Women in the Elections Technical Working Group and Elections Support Group.
- Ensure the implementation of the gender and inclusion policy is on track.
- Support engagement with the Chapter 12 institutions.
- Support finalisation and implementation of the Chapter 12 Commissions proposal.
African Women Leaders Network
- In collaboration with the AWLN coordinator effectively support the work of the AWLN Zimbabwe through provision of strategic guidance, supporting fundraising efforts and representation of UN Women in AWLN meetings and initiatives.
- Partnership agreement with a local CSO partner finalised and funds disbursed.
- Annual Report for the Embassy of Ireland finalised and approved.
- Represent UN Women in the ZUNDAF Public Administration Group including providing input into quarterly and annual reports.
- Represent UN Women in the Human Rights Working Group.
- Perform other tasks as may be requested by the Deputy Country Representative UN Women and Program managers from both agencies.
Duration of Work
The Governance advisor will be expected to start on 12 April 2021 until 31 December 2021. The consultant will only be paid as certified by the UN Women Deputy Representative, based upon submission of monthly progress reports. The advisor is expected to submit monthly progress reports to UN Women Deputy country representative.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to implement new systems and effect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the partners and responds positively to feedback
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in International Development, International Human Rights Law, Gender and Human Rights related disciplines, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, preferably in the field of gender and human rights of women;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English is required and the working language of the duty station.
Fees and Schedule of payments
- The consultant will be paid a monthly pay out based upon submission of monthly progress reports and approval of corresponding deliverables stated in these terms of reference. Certification and approval of progress report will be done by the UN Women Deputy Representative.
Please note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence
To apply, please CLICK HERE