Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Officer
- Post Date:January 4, 2022
- Views 501
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Health Care
Applications are invited from applicants who meet requirements for the post of GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS (GIS) OFFICER in the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MOHCC).
Reports to: Data Manager
Background and Job Summary
The GIS Officer works at the intersection of data analysis, mapping programming, and cartography. His/her primary duties will include analysing TB spatial data through mapping software and designing digital maps with geographic data and various other data sets from the Data sets captured in the field and DHIS2. He/She will also provide broad data analysis as part of the data analytics team. Accurate mapping of spatial heterogeneity in tuberculosis (TB) cases is critical for achieving high impact control as well as guide resource allocation in most developing countries. GIS Officer will be using spatial statistics and GIS techniques as a preamble to identifying areas with elevated risk for prioritisation of control and intervention measures
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the NTP data manager in setting up data elements and configurations that permit geospatial analytics in DHIS2.
- Supporting the development of community data capturing systems to have geospatial capabilities.
- Recommend and support the deployment of appropriate mapping software
- Coordinate development of training curriculum and manuals for GIS training to lower levels
- Coordinate GIS support and supervision
- Support the development mapping applications and tools
- Analyse spatial data using mapping software.
- Discover patterns and trends through spatial mapping of data.
- Design digital maps with geographic data and other data sources.
- Create “shapefiles” to merge topographical data with external data by layering external data over a topographical map.
- Produce maps showing the spatial distribution of various kinds of TB cases and another implementation of GIS
- Identify salient data patterns, perform complex analysis and interpret trends/patterns coming from the data.
- Produce reports on geographic data utilizing data visualizations
- Develop innovative and appropriate data visualization methods to convey key trends to a range of audiences from government and donors to health care workers.
- Hotspot mapping and Analysis
- Interactive and real-time TB case mapping
- A functional Geodatabase
- Production of digital and hardcopy maps
- Improved targeted screening and resource allocation
- Improved Contact tracing and tracking TB spread
- Discovering TB patterns and areas of active transmission
- Spatial analysis of TB data
- Spatial distribution of TB cases across space and time
- Degree in Geography and Environmental Science; Statistics, Geosciences, Geography, Surveying or related field.
- An advanced degree in Geosciences, Environmental health and related fields is an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- At least 1-year proven working experience in planning, training, surveillance, monitoring and evaluation, and implementation of public health activities related to TB control.
- At least 1-year experience in TB-HIV programming
- At least 1-year experience in monitoring and evaluation of HIV/AIDS and TB control programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Shona or Ndebele).
- Ability to network, interact and influence at policy, provincial, district and facility level.
- Excellent computer and word processing skills.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Experience with both desktop ArcGIS and ArcGIS online
- Experience with mapping tools such as QGIS and Carto.
- Competences in spatial statistics.
- Experience with DHIS2
- Knowledge of database programming languages such as SQL, R or Python.
- Experience with GPS measuring tools.
- Ability to travel regularly within and outside the country
Applications should be addressed to:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Health and Child Care
PO. Box CY 1122
Or hand delivered at: Kaguvi Building, Corner Simon Muzenda Street and Central Avenue, 1st floor, reception not later than 06 January 2022.
Related Jobs (53)
Administrative Assistant – Research & Innovation Directorate on January 19, 2022 Full Time
Researcher – Gender Equality and Women Political Leadership on January 18, 2022 Consultancy Contract