- Post Date:April 25, 2022
- Views 518
- Career Level OtherQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Banking
Primary Location: Africa & Middle East-Zimbabwe-Harare
Employee Status: Permanent
Deadline Date: 27/Apr/2022, 12:59:00 AM
About Standard Chartered
We’re an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we’ve worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you’re looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can’t wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you’ll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
- In line with our Fair Pay Charter, we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies – everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
- Recruitment assessments – some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you’ve applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Internal Financial Control
- The Financial Controller has a key role in implementing and maintaining internal financial controls. Internal financial controls are controls which ensure reliability in financial reporting by providing reasonable assurance that proper accounting records are maintained and the financial information used within the business or for publication is reliable.
- Supervise the implementation of the Group FCP and other financial controls which ensure reliability in financial reporting by providing reasonable assurance that proper accounting records are maintained and that the information used within the business or for publication is reliable
Responsibilities inter alia, include
- Implementing and monitoring compliance with the Group/Local accounting policies.
- Maintaining the Bank’s general ledger.
- Preparing complete and accurate financial reports and analysis.
- Monitoring key financial risk indicators: and
- Improvement of the overall integrity of financial systems and control environment.
- Controlling the Bank’s Chart of Accounts.
- Ensure alignment in the finance operations and reports.
- Ensure the Bank’s accounting systems are subject to controls, which ensure completeness and accuracy of the information they contain.
- Contribute to the overall financial management of information systems (not just reporting requirements) including the planning, budgeting, project approval and execution of the new systems.
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the Standard Chartered Bank Group’s accounting systems projects.
FINANCIAL & MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING
- Group and Statutory Reporting
- To ensure that statutory accounts are prepared in accordance Group Policies and comply with local requirements, International Financial Reporting Standard (“IFRS”), Banking Act, Companies Act and other relevant local legislations.
- Legal and regulatory reporting
- Oversee and ensure timely and accurate submission of regulatory reports to the RBZ and ZIMRA.
- Monitor the Bank’s compliance with local regulations and alert management of potential breaches.
- Enforce review control over the preparation and submission of local regulatory reports.
- Head and Regional Office Reporting
- To report to Group the financial performance of the Bank in accordance with the Group’s Accounting Policies (or such local variations which have been approved by Group Finance Division);
- To respond efficiently to any queries which may arise.
- Central Accounting and Others
- To contribute to Product Programs by assessing the accounting, taxation and regulatory implications of proposed new products and ensuring that these are managed effectively when the product be introduced.
- Manage and coordinate Internal Audits of Finance and Country
- Manage and coordinate External Audit process for the Bank, address audit issues and management letter points, processes audit adjustment to the GL
- General Ledger Administration
- Implement and monitor the application of a Chart of Accounts.
- Maintain control over the General Ledger.
- Ensure that suspense accounts in the General Ledger are cleared promptly by departments responsible for their reconciliation.
- Fixed Asset Accounting
- To maintain an up-to-date inventory of fixed assets classified by type, age, and location.
- To co-ordinate and initiate periodic checks and assets to confirm existence, condition and accuracy of the accounting records.
- Accounts Payable
- To ensure authorisation procedures are followed before goods and services are ordered and before creditors or staff expense claims are paid.
- To check transactions are in accordance with agreed purchasing policy.
- To ensure prompt payment of creditors taking advantage of credit periods or discounts for early payment.
- To ensure that there are clearly documented procedures for the initiation, recording and payment of expenses.
- To manage and settle sundry debtor and creditor accounts.
- Budgeting and Forecasts
- Provide analysis of the Bank’s performance against budget and prior years, and highlight trends which are not in line with expectations.
- Contribute to cost/expenditure control within the department and ensure that any exceptional, unusual and extraordinary items are promptly reported and investigated. All costs should be within budget limits.
OPERATIONAL RISK MANAGEMENT
- To report Finance Department’s Operational Risk issues and losses to the Finance Operational Risk Committee.
- To assist Finance Risk Manager in developing and updating of procedures controls and monitoring plans for Operational Risk Management.
- To adhere to the agreed Key Control Self Assessment plans and approach; identifying and reporting all exceptions on non compliance with standard controls
- To maintain proper record keeping on all Key Risk Indicators and perform monthly Key Control Self Assessment tests.
ADMINISTRATION AND STAFFING MATTERS
- Contribute to the maintenance of high professional financial standards in the Bank’s operations
- Manage the relationship with Finance GFS to ensure service delivery is as set in the SLA.
- Manage all staffing matters for the Finance department including:
- Participating in the recruitment process,
- Allocation of duties,
- Training & development,
- Objective setting and annual performance appraisals.
Our Ideal Candidate
- First degree in any discipline plus professional qualifications in accounting e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CAZ (fully qualified) with at least eight years work experience in Financial and Management reporting department of a financial institution.
- Good working knowledge of the Group Accounting practice and Local Regulatory requirements supplemented by all round Banking experience.
- Working knowledge of Accounting/Banking systems is essential for the extraction and processing of data from the system.
- Understanding of the GL accounts is essential in assessing whether the trend of an account is irregular and requires immediate management attention.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential in dealings with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work in a busy and strenuous environment for long hours in order to meet set deadlines.
- High level of computer literacy is required for processing data in various packages
- cAn eye for detail and accuracy with a strong analytical skills and capability.