- Post Date:August 2, 2021
- Views 401
- Career Level ManagerQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
Location: Matusadona National Park
Reporting to: AP Regional Financial Controller (functionally) and to the Park Manager (administratively and operationally)
African Parks, in partnership with the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, signed a 20-year agreement to manage Matusadona National Park on 1st November 2019. The Matusadona Conservation Trust has such been established in Zimbabwe as the legal entity managing this Park.
The Matusadona National Park is part of an ecologically diverse landscape in the Zambezian biome. At 1,470 km2, this stunning and unique landscape presents enormous potential for both wildlife and tourism. It is flanked by the Ume and Sanyati rivers, with 700-metre-high hills descending to its northern boundary on the shores of Lake Kariba. Mixed woodlands and scrublands cover the slopes and ridges of the escarpment, the plateaus and the plains, and a forest of trees semi-submerged by the lake stretches the length of the shoreline. The park harbours more than 240 bird species, important woodlands and wildlife including elephant, lion and buffalo. However, decades of poaching coupled with insufficient management resources has contributed to its decline. Elephant numbers have been drastically reduced and the once abundant population of black rhinos and certain other species have largely been eliminated.
The primary purpose of this role is to:
- Direct and control the administration of all financial, treasury and accounting activities in accordance with APN policy and in compliance with fiscal, legal and statutory requirements of the host country (Zimbabwe);
- Co-ordinate and provide the required financial information and requirements for the park;
- Ensure that all donor regulations are adhered to: e.g. restricted funds, fund reporting requirements, specific procurement requirements etc;
- Report on grants- financial and narrative;
- Ensure that the accounting system is in place to record transactions in accordance with accepted accounting principles and APN policy such that it provides the basis for an efficient Financial management and information system.
1. Accounting and Reporting
- Supervise the recording, classifying and summarizing of the financial transactions of the park and ensuring the proper update and maintenance of the accounts to ensure that the accounting system provides the basis for an efficient financial information system for both internal and external users and that it is compliant with internationally accepted accounting principles, legal and statutory requirements of the country (Zimbabwe);
- Review all accounting related transactions (payment vouchers, receipt vouchers, debit and credit notes, staff time invoices, correcting journal entries) prior to entry into the accounting system;
- Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled;
- Review and provide guidance and coaching to accounting staff ensuring accuracy, correctness and completeness of transactions recorded;
- Ensure the timeliness of required financial reports to project managers, donors, government partners and Board Members;
- Prepare periodic reports of financial performance and discuss with head of departments.
- Act as peer reviewer to the Park Manager to ensure compliance to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) relating to financial controls.
2. Treasury and Cash Management
- Responsible for the treasury planning;
- Review and ensure that disbursements are properly supported with relevant evidential documentation;
- Cash and bank balances are reconciled with the records maintained;
- Reconciliations are reviewed and signed by the Park Manager.
3. Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting Reporting
- Assist in the planning and budgeting, taking the lead in the financial plans and budgets and ensuring that the assumptions, parameters, guidelines and policies in planning are complied with;
- Review and monitor budget performance and provide recommendations;
- Provide cost data of the various resource inputs;
- Assist the Park Manager and other park staff by providing guidance on compliance with donors guidelines and the provisions of donor agreements.
4. Internal Control Environment
- Continuously review the adequacy of internal controls to ensure the provision of accurate and timely financial information, protection of assets and adherence to policies, systems and procedures and the smooth and orderly implementation of plans and activities.
5. Fixed Asset Management
- Ensure the identification and proper inventory of fixed assets of the project through the conduct of an annual inventory to determine their location and condition of proper disposition;
- Determine accuracy of depreciation in accordance with APN’s policy and that the assets are adequately protected;
- Prepare the request for approval to dispose of missing, lost, stolen, damaged and obsolete equipment.
- Ensure that the systems and procedures are in place to enable accurate preparation and disbursement of the payroll in compliance with statutory requirements;
- Sign off on the monthly payroll by reviewing and checking the accuracy of amounts to be paid to the staff.
7. Due Diligence and Audit
- Co-ordinate with the auditors. This includes preparation of the reporting pack and necessary notes to the accounts;
- Provide draft responses to the audit management letter, including coordinating inputs from the programme, human resources, administration and other units as necessary;
- Ensure the closure and resolution of audit findings.
8. Board and governance
- Provide financial information to the Board for all Board meetings
- Provide leadership and guidance in all matters pertaining to finance (including taxation and other financial issues) and give advice and support to all those needing it
- Provide training to project staff on APN financial policies and procedures, budgeting methods and compliance with donor guidelines
Where required, assist with writing and maintaining the local procurement policy and be a member of the procurement committee.
- Carry out any other relevant tasks that may be assigned by the Park Manager from time to time.
Key Performance Indicators
- Implementation of a payroll software to remove the manual processing of payroll;
- Maintenance of Serenic (accounting package) as well as managing the processing into this system
- Ensure that all financial process flaws are fixed.
- Ensure that all finance team members can process on the accounting software.
- Take responsibility for all financial related duties of Zimbabwe including: board presentation (financial reports), monthly financial planning (forecast), cash planning, and any fiscal/tax issues.
- Assist in the implementation of an inventory management system in Zimbabwe.
- Provide financial input into donor proposals.
- Prepare donor financial reports and submit them on a timely basis to head office.
- Identified training courses to enhance the capability of the existing finance team.
- Company is registered as a trust, lead the investigation process to consider registration as NPO or other type of entity in Zimbabwe
- Ensure tax compliance for all tax types (and manage new registrations)
- Qualified ACCA/CIMA/CA or equivalent
- At least 8 years post qualification experience
- Experience in international organisations
- Has managed a team of at least 5 people
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Experience working in multi-cultural environment
- Excellent computer/technology skills
- Strong communication & presentation skills
- Analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong team player
- Result oriented & highly resilient
- Advanced competences in Financial Management and Reporting
- Proven experience in Budget Planning and Management
- Strong Corporate Governance
- Extensive experience in Cash flow Management
- Strong Internal Controls
- Extensive experience in Financial Analysis and Projections
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] by 16 August 2021
Should you not hear back from us within 2 weeks after closing date, please take it that your application was unsuccessful.
Related Jobs (18)
Consultant Health Economist (Grade N0B) – (2105293) on October 25, 2021 Consultancy
Head, Sales and Coverage (Manufacturing Portfolio) on October 23, 2021 Full Time
Vehicle Licensing Controller – Southern (Bulawayo) on October 21, 2021 Full Time