Engineer Intern, Multiple positions
- Post Date:June 26, 2021
- Views 423
- Career Level StudentQualification DegreeExperience Fresh
- Industry Non Governmental
Job categories: Engineering
Vacancy code: VA/2021/B5329/21757
Department/office: AFR, KEMCO, Zimbabwe
Duty station: Multiple duty stations, Zimbabwe
Contract type: Intern
Contract level: Intern
Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 28-Jun-2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Zimbabwe
UNOPS Office in Zimbabwe falls under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi-Country Office). Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the KEMC manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of infrastructure, procurement, and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and several Island states.
UNOPS manages a range of infrastructure projects in Zimbabwe in different sectors including education, health, agriculture, transport applying different implementation approaches such as labor-based and outsourced designers/contractors but always with direct supervision from UNOPS.
Following the devastation caused to life, livelihoods, and property by tropical storm Idai in March 2019, the WB has allocated up to US$ 75 million to finance a recovery project for Zimbabwe and the African Development Bank has allocated US$ 25 million. The projects address both early and mid-term recovery needs in multiple sectors (livelihoods, health, education, agriculture, transport). UNOPS manages the WB funds and has established a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to engage multiple UN partner organizations to deliver specific components of ZIRP. UNOPS is the Implementation Agency for the AfDB project.
UNOPS is in the advanced stages of negotiations with the Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Resettlement, Zimbabwe and IFAD to support the implementation of rehabilitation work for two irrigation schemes in Manicaland province, namely Romsley and Cashel Valley. Under this project funded by IFAD, UNOPS will be responsible for the delivery of designs and quality delivery of reconstruction of these irrigation schemes and the management, monitoring, and oversight of the project implementation.
Background Information – Job-specific
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Lead Engineers, the Engineer Interns will use their technical expertise as required to assist in supervising and coordinating site activities.
The interns will be required to deliver high quality products to tight deadlines. Additionally, the interns will also closely collaborate with other project team members.
The interns will be responsible to abide by the security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
The internship’s learning opportunities are:
- Apply, expand and consolidate their engineering knowledge in a real working environment.
- Active participation in the supervision and coordination of site activities.
- Participate in the revision, cleaning and maintenance of the spatial database produced for the project.
- Learn from real situations how to work in a team and deliver quality products within set timeframes.
- Learning through practical experience.
- Understanding of international organisations’ project management practices.
- Knowledge of UNOPS project management systems, including online platforms and Google Suite.
- Exposure to UNOPS Zimbabwe projects.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Specifically, the engineering interns will be responsible for the following tasks under the close supervision and guidance of the Lead Engineers:
- Assist in performing/reviewing design works of buildings, roads, bridges, water & sanitation systems, irrigation systems, energy supply networks and other structures to the Design standards.
- Assist in supervising the works on site on a daily basis.
- Assist in collating feedback and preparing reports.
- Assist in preparing/reviewing design briefs and design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary.
- Assist in preparing comprehensive design documentation that will include and not limited to Design report, drawings, specifications, design review checklist, bar bending schedules and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing using latest design software and Codes.
- Assist Architects, Engineers and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects and scheduling of tasks.
- Assist in ensuring the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements.
- Assist in timely delivery of the expected outputs.
- Assist in producing bills of quantities of the proposed works.
- Assist in carrying out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design.
- Assist in the supervision of construction works.
- Assist in preparing daily site logs and health & safety logs.
- Assist in carrying inspection of works and recording such inspection at specific milestones during the life of the construction in line with the projects’ specifications.
- Assist in witnessing and recording quality control checks (such as concrete slump test, sampling of cubes, crushing of cubes, spacing/number/size and cover of reinforcement, etc., vibrating of concrete, etc.).
- Assist in the preparation of site progress reports including images and videos as required.
- Assist in following up project progress versus planned schedule and raise any deviation with supervisors.
- Assist in coordinating the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned.
- Must be enrolled in a University Degree Programme in Civil, Structural, Agriculture Engineering or other relevant Engineering Programme from an accredited university.
- Applicants who have graduated from such studies within the last three years will also be considered eligible for the position.
- While no professional experience is required for an internship, experience in the construction industry will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of other UN languages will be considered an asset.
Integrity & Inclusion
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same.
- Upholds organizational and ethical norms.
- Maintains high standards of trustworthiness.
- Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first.
- Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal.
- Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas.
- Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them.
- Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment.
- Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements.
- Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior.
- Performance is consistent, even under pressure.
- Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions.
- Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks.
- Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner.
- Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others.
- Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge.
- Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
This position is based in a family duty station.
Contract type, level and duration – Internship
Contract type: Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Internships-and-volunteering.aspx
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.