Deputy Director, Food Safety and Port Health
- Post Date:March 15, 2022
- Views 487
- Career Level DirectorQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
- Industry Health Care
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the post of Deputy Director, Food Safety and Port Health which has fallen vacant within the Ministry of Heath & Child Care.
REPORTS TO: Director, Environmental Health Services
GRADE: E5 (1)
STATION: Ministry of Health and Child Care-Head Office
Overall coordination and guidance of Food Safety & Port Health service delivery (plan, organize, direct and administer Food Safety & Port Health services/programs). This includes coordinating the development, implementation and evaluation of national policies and strategies on Food Safety & Port Health. The portfolio also is responsible for management and participation in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, budgets, and priorities for Food and Port health services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formulates and ensures enforcement of port health legislation; and any other public health laws applicable to Food and Port Health.
- Plans and organises port health programmes in Zimbabwe.
- Be responsible for pest and vector control programs in Zimbabwe.
- Coordinates, where necessary, the disinfection and dis-infestations of vessels arming at ports of entry.
- Be responsible for water quality and food standards monitoring in Zimbabwe.
- Ensures inspection on all imported goods, human remains and other materials in terms of Port Health Legislation and other public health laws.
- Ensures the proper disposal of waste at the ports of entry.
- Ensures validation or confirmation of the required health certificates of incoming passengers.
- Facilitates the monitoring and inspection of all vessels for possible infestation of pests or transportation of toxic wastes.
- Facilitates the taking of samples of food or other goods and swabs from food premises and staff
- Handling food in and around ports of entry for laboratory analysis.
- Ensures detection or condemnation of any goods found to contravene any stale laws,
- Ensures detection of any case or cases of a quarantinable disease.
- Be responsible for all environmental health inspections in and around the ports of entry.
- Compiles monthly, quarterly and annual reports for his! her activities and submits to the Director Environmental Health Services.
- Directs the inspection or medical examination on arrival and the detention of any vessel as well as any person on an international voyage.
- Monitors the inspection of foods for export and processing of applications for sanitary certificates.
- Offers technical advice to staff at ports of entry.
- Carries out any other duties as may be required by the Director Environmental Heath Services.
- Coordinates food safety programmes.
- Participates in implementation of international Health Regulations.
- Facilitates prevention and control of foodbome diseases.
- Carries out any other duties as may be required by the Director, Environmental Health Services.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health
- MSc in Public Health or equivalent
- At least 4 years’ experience in environmental heath
- A diploma in Food Technology an added advantage
- Registration with the Environmental Health Practitioners Council of Zimbabwe
- Management course an added advantage
- Computer literacy
Candidates who meet the requirements of the post s are invited to submit their applications accompanied by CVs and certified copies of certificates not later than 18 March 2022 to:
The Executive Director
Health Service Board
Old Parirenyatwa Hospital
P. Bag A6104
E-Mail: [email protected]
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.