Deputy Country Director - Operations
- Post Date:July 6, 2021
- Views 516
- Career Level ExecutiveQualification DegreeExperience 10-15 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
CARE began working in Zimbabwe in 1992 in response to severe regional drought and has since expanded programming to address longer-term development issues. Currently, an estimated 5.8 million people are facing severe food insecurity in Zimbabwe as a result of the human-made climate crisis.
Through strategic local partnerships, CARE is implementing both short-term and long-term programming to empower Zimbabwe’s vulnerable households to meet their basic needs through sustainable livelihoods. To that end, CARE’s programming in Zimbabwe is focused on the following areas: food and nutrition security, climate resilient livelihoods, economic development, education, and water, sanitation, and hygiene
The organisation seeks to recruit outstanding candidates who are known for their excellence, professionalism, integrity and who are committed to providing support to the country office. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position posted below:
Applications can only be accepted from people with an existing right to work in Zimbabwe.
The incumbent will be responsible for providing leadership and direction for CARE Zimbabwe’s Finance and Operations functions in line with the Co’s strategy and vision. The DCD- Operations will be working closely with the Country Director to develop effective, efficient and results driven Finance and Operations team and is responsible for operational oversight of CARE Zimbabwe including smooth functioning of Finance, Administration and Logistics, ICT, and Procurement. He /She will also and also provide technical oversight for field/sub office operations functions.
Key duties and Responsibilities
- Sets direction and takes responsibility for provision of overall strategic management across all Operations functions (Finance, Procurement and Logistics, Administration, IT, HR, Field/sub office operations) by providing strategic leadership, advise and oversight to the Operations team.
- Develops and organizes activities of Finance and Operations units to provide timely and effective support to CO program to ensure objectives are met.
- Leads business process improvements for the CO operations to bring about cost efficiency and effectiveness to the CO.
- Responsible for staff performance management, development and talent management, capacity building of the Operations team and the CO.
- In collaboration with program team ensures effective partnership management including due diligence review, capacity building and implementation of preventive/corrective actions.
- Initiates new, revise existing operations policies, systems and procedures in line with the legal and donor requirements in Zimbabwe
- Develops and implements sound internal control systems and ensure they functioning to ensure adherence to policies and procedures and minimize loss of assets.
- Coordinates with the management on legal and regulatory matters in the CO, work with CARE USA legal, in country legal adviser, AMS and the RO to ensure CO’s full compliance with host country laws and regulations.
- Provides oversight support on annual budgeting process and proposal budgeting ensure full cost recovery of SPC and funding gaps from potential donors. Make use of the Master budget tool to inform decision making in the CO.
- Oversees Monthly analysis of expenditure budget versus actual monitoring and ensure required actions and adjustments are done timely.
- Ensures effective internal control systems and that assets and resources and CARE are appropriately safeguarded.
- Provides proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated team in Finance and Operations.
- Proactively addresses performance issues through regular, and constructive feedback and coaching; identify necessary staff development, and career development strategies for direct reports
- Ensures strong, effective and principled CARE Zimbabwe liaison with government agencies and departments at national level and in areas of operations.
- Oversees CARE Zimbabwe relationship with various departments, local authorities, and line ministries, ensuring that CARE Zimbabwe’s interests are being served at all times, and advising Senior Management Team on how those relationships can be strengthened.
- Provides operational and strategic support to the field offices and ensure Field Office are appropriately positioned, supported and accountable to offer operations support to the programs in their domain.
- Ensures that IASC core principles and Safeguarding standards are met and maintained accordingly
- Advanced University Degree required. Professional qualification desirable.
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience in finance and operations in large international NGO with a minimum of 5 years at the senior leadership position.
- Good knowledge and experience in institutionalizing compliance and accountability system and procedures.
- Sound knowledge and hands on experience of internal and external audit requirements.
- Experience in managing complex budgets and donor compliance and reporting.
- Demonstrated skills and motivation towards gender and cultural sensitivities, valuing diversity and championing organizational and staff diversity, upholding the organizational core values
- Excellent knowledge of Host Government regulations on NGO’s
- Strong analytical skills, able to interpret complex data into meaningful reports to senior management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to listen, to build support from staff across teams and across stakeholders, and to build the capacity of others.
- Excellent computer knowledge with command of Microsoft Office 365 especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Sound facilitation and presentation skills to ensure productive meetings, trainings, and consultations with project teams, partners and other stakeholders.
Related Jobs (25)
Assistant Social Services and Recreation Officer on August 3, 2021
Executive Officer Human Resources and Administration (Grade 10) on August 3, 2021 Full Time
Citizen Engagement and Partnerships (CEP) Specialist on August 3, 2021 Contract