Dean – College of Health, Agriculture and Natural Sciences
- Post Date:May 30, 2022
- Views 352
- Career Level ExecutiveQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Education
Africa University is a Pan African, United Methodist-Related Institution in Zimbabwe that recruits students and staff from all over Africa. Applications are invited from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the position of the Dean, College of Health, Agriculture and Natural Sciences (CHANS).
The Dean plays a pivotal role in the University’s Senior Management structure, providing overall leadership and management functions, which includes administration and management of the College’s finances. The Dean is also responsible for all College planning in specific areas of human resources, budgeting, academic programmes, innovation, research, College equipment and other College matters. The successful candidate will be appointed on a four year fixed term contract. The Dean shall be responsible to the Vice Chancellor.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership with a vision, academic excellence through University teaching, research, community engagement, innovation and industrialisation (Education 5.0) and insight for the College of Health, Agriculture and Natural Resources; Managing, monitoring, developing, and evaluating academic programmes leading towards transformational review and renewal;
- Provide academic and administrative leadership to the College, including all College planning and budgeting;
- Implementing the policies and objectives of the University and the College through the development and delivery of sound and innovative programmes, the promotion of excellence in teaching and research for the College through partnerships and linkages with other Universities as well as other organizations;
- Provide leadership in coming up with specialized methods of effective online teaching for the different College disciplines;
- Developing a sense of community for the College, students and support staff;
- Developing collaborations and strategic partnerships with College alumni, institutions, corporations and government agencies in liaison with University administration;
- Implementing programmes and projects in accordance with the University administration;
- Quality Assurance of the College activities;
- Fostering and maintaining a comprehensive and conducive learning environment in the College;
- Mobilizing resources (human and financial) for the College;
- Participating where relevant in Academic Meetings such as Senate, College and Departmental Boards;
- Serve as a link facilitating amongst students, staff, Head of Departments, Directors and the University Management;
- Leading and Co-ordinating the governance of the College reflecting the interdisciplinary nature of academic programmes;
- Developing, leading and encouraging resource mobilization in support of the College’s goals;
- Performing such other functions as may be prescribed by the Vice Chancellor.
Qualifications and experience
The candidate must have:
- A minimum qualification of a PhD in either Health, Agriculture, Natural Sciences or related area;
- An excellent academic record and be a scholar of note with credibility among his / her peers;
- Attainment of Professorship would be an added advantage;
- At least five years’ experience in a University or College, administration as Dean of a College, Deputy Dean, Chairperson of a Department, Principal or Director in a University is required;
- A strong track record in Teaching, Research, Community Engagement, Innovation and Resource Mobilization;
- Demonstrable and proven leadership skills and experience of working with a broad range of relevant stakeholders;
- Demonstrate and proven experience with managing diversity and thriving in an international and multicultural environment;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications together with copies curriculum vitae, certified copies and certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their email, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to:
Human Resources & Administration,
P. O. Box 1320,
Applications will close on 10 June 2022.
Please, note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.