- Post Date:June 9, 2022
- Views 303
- Career Level ExecutiveQualification Master’s DegreeExperience 10-15 Years
- Industry Health Care
Job ID: 2022-3589
Category Global: Operations Position
Up to 10% international travel
Reports to: Vice President, Global Operations, Africa Region
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PSI has established a new branch office in Zimbabwe after supporting the 23 year old PSI/Zimbabwe Trust – now renamed Population Solutions for Health – to achieve full financial and operational independence as a deeply rooted Zimbabwean owned, governed and managed organization. The new PSI branch office oversees an annual operation budget of $30M and remains with prime award responsibility across multiple existing funding streams with PEPFAR/USAID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Sweden, with PSH moving into an independent subpartner role on six programs leading service delivery in HIV and SRHR programming, VMMC sustainability, and client centered campaigns to address social norms in Zimbabwe.
PSI has an essential strategic and technical role to play in providing light touch TA to the mixed health system in the areas of insight gathering and application for improved consumer-centered programming, digital health and monitoring, and adaptive implementation and learning, including support for world class documentation and dissemination of the lessons learned, best practices, approaches and tools developed to catalyze communities of practice in Zimbabwe and beyond. PSI has a role to play in implementation areas unique to the international organization, such as independent fundholding under results based financing of HIV service delivery and safe abortion advocacy, education and communications. The high capacity, deeply rooted PSI – PSH partnership has tremendous potential to deliver together on the vision of achieving consumer powered health care through shaping mixed health systems, shifting policy and funding, and strengthening capacity within the Zimbabwe mixed health system and beyond.
PSI seeks a Country Representative that will oversee the overall management and achievement of objectives for the Zimbabwe PSI country platform while focusing on managing overall strategic alignment, program portfolio performance, risk mitigation and donor compliance across funders and health areas. S/he will lead the network member Senior Management Team, nurture the strategic relationships with other network members operating in country, and reports to the VP of Global Operations, Africa Region. This position is Chief of Party on the current $101M Going the Last Mile for HIV Control program and is likely to be proposed as Chief of Party on a future USAID funded programs. It also remains the prime award representative with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Sweden. It is contingent upon donor approval.
- Responsible for the overall management and achievement of objectives for the Zimbabwe PSI country platform. Focus on managing overall strategic alignment, program portfolio performance, risk mitigation and donor compliance across funders and health areas. Lead the network member Senior Management Team and reports to the VP, Global Operations for the Africa region. 25% of the Time
- Ensure compliance of all activities (i.e. financial, minimum standards, program quality assurance, donor regulations) and that all audit recommendations are implemented according to schedule. Proactively perform risk assessments to identify and mitigate risks, including operational, financial, legal, contractual, reputational and safety and ensure mitigation actions are implemented. 25% of the Time
- Oversee program budgets, financial and internal controls; assure timely and accurate financial reporting as required by PSI/Washington and donors. 15% of the Time
- Fundraise for existing and new activities and expansion of the health program’s portfolio. 15% of the Time
- Maintain and foster strong external relations with strategic partners such as other network members operating in Zimbabwe, government, development partners, implementing partners and UN agencies, among others. 10% of the Time
- Develop and enforce field office administrative policies. Promote an ethical environment in line with PSI’s values. Maintain a working culture that fosters diversity, equity and inclusion. Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of staff and assets in all aspects of work per best practices, PSI operating standards, and field realities. 10% of the Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (e.g., MBA, MPA, MPH )
- At least 10 years of related experience managing budgets and international public health programs
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience
- COP or DCOP key personnel experience on a PEPFAR/USAID funded program a must as this position is contingent upon donor prior approval.
- Demonstrated work experience in similar operating environments.
- Demonstrated experience in government and donor relations and collaboration.
- Demonstrated fundraising experience.
- Fluency in English with excellent writing skills. Foreign language skills required depending on location.
- Demonstrated leadership and passion for building technical, management and leadership capacity.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: [email protected] or call (202)785-0072.
Related Jobs (25)
Team Lead, Youth Political Attitudes and Behavior Assessment on June 22, 2022 Contract
Systems Strengthening Lead on June 22, 2022
Finance and Administration Graduate Trainee (Harare) on June 21, 2022 Internship