Consultant to develop training materials for micro, small and medium scale farmers and business support organisations
- Post Date:February 2, 2021
- Views 363
- Career Level Consultant
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest, privately held, non-denominational and politically independent German non-governmental organisations in the area of development co-operation and emergency relief. Primarily, in cooperation with local partner organisations, it is its task to contribute to improvement in the nutritional and income status of the poorest rural populations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe almost continuously since 1980. Currently, the organisation together with its partners is having projects in 6 Provinces in Zimbabwe. Sector focus is in, WASH, Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods and when necessary Emergency response. In the European Union funded and Government of Zimbabwe supported Strengthening the Competitiveness and Potential for Exports of Inclusive Value Chains [SCOPE4IVC] project, WHH is collaborating with Empretec Zimbabwe and Bio Innovation Zimbabwe.
The European Union availed funding under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF) to the Government of Zimbabwe through the Zimbabwe Economic Partnership Agreement support project (ZEPA). The global objective of the ZEPA project is to enhance Zimbabwe’s economic competitiveness and integration into the regional and international trading system. The ZEPA project has three specific objectives: SO1-Reform and streamline policy, regulatory and institutional frameworks to encourage production and trade in selected value chains; chili, nyimo and marula; SO2) Reduce trading costs and expedite the movement, release and clearance of goods; SO3) Improve competitiveness and the export capacity of Small and Medium size Enterprises [SMEs] in selected value chains; chili, nyimo and marula. The SCOPE4IVC project contributes towards the attainment of results under SO3 of the overall ZEPA program. Whilst the project has a national outlook, its district level implementation sites are Umzingwane, Bubi, Gokwe South and Chivi districts.
A key pillar of the project is capacity building of MSME farmers producing, collecting and or processing chili, nyimo and marula. The capacity building also includes Business Support Organisations that provide extension services to the MSME farmers.
Purpose of the consultancy
The primary objective of this consultancy is to develop one (1) Participant training manual for use by the field teams in implementing the project. NB**The Participant Manual should be an offshoot of Empretec’s Trainer’s Manual on Standards and Trade opportunities
To develop a Participant Training manual on Standards and Trade Opportunities – made up of a number of modules for use by BSOs when training MSME farmers working on chili, nyimo and marula.
Duties and responsibilities of the consultant
The selected Consultant will liaise with the Project Officer and Project Manager throughout the duration of the consultancy, and they will be required to meet the expected deliverables listed below during the period of the consultancy. The consultant will develop and complete the deliverables at a location of their choice, but office space will be available at the Empretec Offices should they need space.
The Consultant will be expected to:
- Submit a Work Plan for the duration of the consultancy period;
- In consultation with the Project Officer, develop and submit a draft of the Participant Manual mentioned above;
- The manual should be in keeping with Empretec’s ethics, values and training methodology;
- Include the case studies, exercises, and handouts;
- Include any other content that will make the learning process more effective in the manual;
- Revise and refine the content of the Participant manual after receiving feedback from Empretec;
- Deliver the FINAL Participant training manual described above;
- Conduct a Training of Trainers (😭) of Empretec trainers on how to administer the manual.
Empretec’s duties and responsibilities
- Oversee the overall development of the training materials and provide feedback on the draft submitted by the Consultant;
- Effect payments on accomplishment of the task according to contract and deliverables met.
Time frame for the assignment
The assignment is expected to be completed within four (4) weeks upon signing of the contract.
Scope of the study
Upon being awarded the consultancy, the consultant will be expected to provide Empretec with the following at scheduled timelines:
- Submission of Work Plan;
- Desk review of relevant documents;
- Generation of content to be included in the manual;
- Presentation of draft Participants’ training manual for review/approval by Empretec;
- Presentation of FINAL Participants training manual, incorporating all comments and corrections from Empretec.
Qualification and experience of the consultants
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the design and implementation of training materials with a focus on MSME and BSO development and capacity building;
- Relevant value chain experience would be an advantage;
- Previous experience delivering or developing TOT (Training of Trainers) curricula;
- Previous experience working with MSMEs;
- Excellent communication and writing skills (writing samples to be provided upon request);
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Economics, Business Studies or Development Studies;
- Knowledge and commitment to abide by the ethics and codes of conduct of Empretec while working with communities;
- Proficiency in English, Shona and or Ndebele
Prospective Consultants are to submit both a Technical and Financial proposal as separate documents. The Technical Proposal should consist of the following:
- Technical proposal setting out their understanding of the Terms of Reference;
- Detailed itemised Work Plan – including time frames for submission of drafts;
- Detailed CV including past achievements;
- 3 traceable references of previous supervisors/employers;
- 2 – 3 previous work samples.
- A separate Financial Proposal should be submitted consisting of the following:
- Detailed itemized Budget for developing the Participants Training Manual;
- Budget justification.
Please send the proposal and additional documents to: [email protected]
Products’ rights and ownership
The ownership of the draft and final documentation exclusively belongs to Empretec. Any documents, or publications related to the training modules will not be shared publicly by the consultant.
Deadline: 9 February 2021