- Post Date:May 6, 2021
- Views 551
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood and we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity.
We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. In Zimbabwe, we have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 31 years. Plan International operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity.
Communications Officer – (Harare Country Office)
Reporting to the Communications Specialist, the Communications Officer is responsible for providing support to conceptualize, design and implement communication activities for Plan Zimbabwe.
Corporate Communications 40%
- Lead in information management, publications, branding and supporting the Business Development team on proposal development periodically.
- Supporting the Communications Manager to formulate and implement the communications strategy, establish and publish timelines for communications projects.
- Write, edit and produce communications materials for internal departments and programme teams including IEC materials, key organisational updates, brochures, fliers, posters, and social media platforms, among others
- Supporting program documentation and development of communication materials for programs teams.
- Supporting the development of sound projects/events communications plans which efficiently profile the organisation and its priorities
- Ensure visibility of Plan International in projects partners’ materials and publications, and provide guidance on the correct use of Plan branding guidelines, in line with Global branding guidelines
- Overseeing research and production of communications materials including news releases, case studies, human interest stories, newsletter content, opinion articles, IEC materials and talking points
- Developing risk management matrix for children in contact with the media so as to ensure Safeguarding of Children and Young People
- Implementing a national media strategy aligned to deliver high impact media coverage in national markets
- Providing technical support and mentoring as well as on the job training to a network of communications staff in the country
External Communications & Campaigns 20%
- Supporting the development of communication and influencing plans for events and all relevant commemorative days.
- Reviewing all communication materials produced for campaigns and events to ensure correct messaging and branding in compliance with communication guidelines.
- Managing risk and brand reputation to ensure that media work benefits rather than harms Plan International’s strategic objectives .
- Events management
Web and Social Media Content 10%
- Providing guidance to the communication team, staff and partners on the conceptualization, design and administration of content on the social media platforms.
Documentation and Publications 10%
- Support documentation and coordination of program news and stories of impact, photography and videography for further packaging and dissemination through various communication channels.
- Liaising with programme teams to schedule and ensure collection of case studies.
- Capacitate the Communications Network through upskilling on practical communications aspects that include story writing
Media Relations 20%
- Cultivate relations with the media, organise and facilitate media coverage for events, guide media engagement for technical experts
- Monitor and analyse media coverage of current events and public opinion, and alert management to any relevant issues or risks.
- Orienting journalists interviewing Plan International staff, children and partners on the organisation’s media guidelines as well as the Child and Young People Safeguarding Policy.
- Managing media relations and organising and facilitating media coverage for events
- Identifying media opportunities that provide platforms to showcase the organisation’s work; field visits, feature stories and interviews for key spokespersons.
- Preparing of media packs and briefing kits.
Child Protection & gender equality mainstreaming
Promotes and abides by Plan policies and procedures including but not limited to: Gender equality mainstreaming, Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct and the related mandatory reporting responsibilities
- A Degree in Communication, Journalism, Mass Communication or Public Relations
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Must have current knowledge of the communications and or media field
- Hands on experience of web publishing and video production
- Proficiency in MS office tools and computer skills
- A team player with high integrity& interpersonal skills
- Good analytical, communication & problem solving skills
- Strong documentation and presentation skills
- Energetic and motivated individual
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Results focused and articulate
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements are required to submit their curriculum vitae & cover letter outlining their suitability for the position. Plan International takes very seriously the responsibility and duty to ensure that we and anyone who represents us does not in any way harm or place at risk children and young people. In this regard, reference & background checks will be performed including clearances on child related offences in conformity with Plan’s Safeguarding Policy.
This position is open to Zimbabwean nationals
Location: Zimbabwe (Harare)
Type of role: Fixed Term Contract
Closing Date : 14 May 2021