COMBI Trial Research Assistant
- Post Date:May 10, 2021
- Views 447
- Career Level AssistantQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Health Care
Zvitambo is a multidisciplinary public health research institute whose mission is to improve maternal and child health in Zimbabwe and to apply its findings to improve health globally. Zvitambo conducts research and provides technical support and education to reduce the burden of malnutrition and infectious diseases. Zvitambo is looking for an energized and committed team to help lead and support a clinical trial in Shurugwi, called COMBI – Cotrimoxazole for Mothers to Improve Birthweight in Infants. COMBI is evaluating the effects of antibiotics (versus placebo) during pregnancy on birth outcomes. The trial will enrol 1000 pregnant women from three clinics in Shurugwi district and follow mother-child pairs until 6 weeks postpartum. The trial aims to investigate the impact of infections on birth outcomes, including the role of periodontitis.
The COMBI Research Assistant is a member of the study team whose primary role is to:
- Support preparation of COMBI and future studies by conducting scoping reviews in the study area of current antenatal and delivery facilities,
- Examine availability of drugs and nutrient supplements through the private and public sector,
- Conduct qualitative studies with pregnant women to understand barriers to iron-folate supplementation and other pharmaceutical interventions prescribed during pregnancy, and explore barriers to early booking at antenatal clinics, dietary practices and usual nutrient intake during pregnancy.
- (S)he will support the COMBI team to ensure that women enrolled in the study attend their visits.
- (S)he will work closely with the Project Lead to ensure that each visit is of a high-quality standard.
- (S)he will support supplementary research to better understand attitudes towards antibiotics, the barriers to medication adherence, and health-seeking behaviours during pregnancy.
- (S)he will work at all three clinic sites in Shurugwi District.
- Conducting a scoping review to better understand the movements of women between ANC booking and delivery, access to certain nutrient dense foods and dietary practices during pregnancy,
- Supporting qualitative research around adherence and attitudes towards antibiotics and other pharmaceutical interventions (ie, pills), barriers to early booking of pregnancies at antenatal clinics,
- Supporting the clinical trial team with patient appointments, and supporting the study with filing and other administrative duties.
- The start date for this post is 1 June 2021 or soon thereafter.
- The candidate must have an undergraduate degree in the social sciences (anthropology, sociology, psychology) or other relevant degree.
- They must have previous experience with qualitative research, and a willingness to learn new skills.
- They must have excellent organizational skills, strong motivational skills, an ability to work to strict deadlines, and willingness to work flexibly as the project demands.
- They must have excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Shona, be computer literate with practical experience working with word processing programmes and spreadsheet forms, have current certificate in Good Clinical Practice and Ethics, and traceable references.
- It is preferable if the candidate has a postgraduate degree in public health, previous experience working on a research study, and a clean driver’s licence.
To apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject “Application for COMBI Research Assistant.”
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 21 May 2021
Related Jobs (31)
Assistant Social Services and Recreation Officer on August 3, 2021
Executive Officer Human Resources and Administration (Grade 10) on August 3, 2021 Full Time
Citizen Engagement and Partnerships (CEP) Specialist on August 3, 2021 Contract