COMBI Project Lead
- Post Date:May 10, 2021
- Views 421
- Career Level OtherQualification DiplomaExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Health Care
Zvitambo is a multidisciplinary public health research institute whose mission is to improve maternal and child health in Zimbabwe and to apply its findings to improve health globally. Zvitambo conducts research and provides technical support and education to reduce the burden of malnutrition and infectious diseases. Zvitambo is looking for an energized and committed team to help lead and support a clinical trial in Shurugwi, called COMBI – Cotrimoxazole for Mothers to Improve Birthweight in Infants. COMBI is evaluating the effects of antibiotics (versus placebo) during pregnancy on birth outcomes. The trial will enrol 1000 pregnant women from three clinics in Shurugwi district and follow mother-child pairs until 6 weeks postpartum. The trial aims to investigate the impact of infections on birth outcomes, including the role of periodontitis.
We seek an experienced midwife to be the Project Lead who will:
- Ensure all research protocols are implemented, including administration of trial drugs, sample collection, and visit tracking.
- S(he) will ensure all staff are qualified and trained in the trial protocol.
- S(he) will coordinate study nurses at the three clinic sites to ensure that screening and enrolment of trial participants is on track; that data collection is accurate and complete; and that all routine antenatal care is delivered appropriately.
- S(he) will liaise with the Trial Medical Officer and senior obstetricians on the team to provide advice on pregnancy complications and adverse events.
- S(he) will prepare the site to receive and work with internal and external monitors as required by regulatory bodies and will conduct post-monitoring meetings with staff and effect any relevant corrective action.
- S(he) will provide oversight on the performance of laboratory, pharmacy, data management, QA/QC.
- S(he) works closely with the clinic leadership to ensure that community outreach activities that promote women’s study participation (e.g. early booking and study intervention adherence) are integrated within the village health worker network duties.
- This post requires a high degree of logistics coordination and supervisory skills.
- The start date for this post is 1 June 2021 or soon thereafter.
The candidate must have:
- A nursing diploma with at least 7 years of nursing experience including midwifery;
- A strong track record in delivering antenatal care in Zimbabwe;
- A current practicing certificate, and certification in HIV Rapid Testing;
- Research experience;
- A clean driver’s licence;
- Prior team management experience in a clinical trial;
- Commitment to working as part of a multidisciplinary research team;
- A commitment to working hand–in-glove within MoHCC district structures and systems;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Shona, excellent organizational skills, strong motivational skills, ability to work to strict deadlines;
- Computer literacy with practical experience working with word processing programmes and spreadsheet forms;
- A current certificate in Good Clinical Practice and Ethics;
- Traceable references.
- It is preferable if the candidate has previous familiarity with Shurugwi district, and its rural communities.
To apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject “Application for COMBI Project Lead.”
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 21 May 2021
Related Jobs (31)
Assistant Social Services and Recreation Officer on August 3, 2021
Executive Officer Human Resources and Administration (Grade 10) on August 3, 2021 Full Time
Citizen Engagement and Partnerships (CEP) Specialist on August 3, 2021 Contract