Climate Change Adaptation Graduate Trainee
- Post Date:February 11, 2021
- Views 355
- Career Level StudentQualification DegreeExperience 3-5 Years
About Grow a Tree Foundation: GTF is a global Environmental and Climate Change advocacy organization that seeks to promote climate resilience of cities, rural communities and schools, through sustainable climate smart interventions.
Posting Title: Climate Change Adaptation Graduate Trainee
Job Code Title: Climate Change Adaptation Officer
Department: Adaptation and Mitigation
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Posting Period: 08 February 2021 – 16 February 2021
Job Opening Number: 2 HRE Zimbabwe
S/He reports to the Director Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, the Climate Change Adaptation Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
To support effective programming to promote resilience in disaster-prone, fragile contexts through the provision of technical and strategic support to country programs on climate change adaptation, and through the documentation of learning on best practice.
- The Climate Change Adaptation Officer (CCAO) under the supervision of the Director adaptation and mitigation, will provide technical guidance on climate change adaptation, including climate-smart agriculture, to country teams to ensure programs are designed, implemented, monitored, and evaluated to ensure optimum impact on the extreme poor.
- The CCAO will do this through field visits, the provision of remote support, assisting in building technical capacity of Concern and partner staff through formal training, webinars, remote mentoring, and production and sharing of key technical resources;
- Contribute to strategic thinking and policy formulation on climate change adaptation within GTF. This will include supporting the development of a climate change adaptation strategy for GTF.
- Support country teams to ensure that climate change adaptation interventions are linked with national processes; work with others to support the department to engage in national processes, and participate in international Adaptation forums.
- Synthesize and document practical learning from our programs; identify ways to apply it in a timely fashion to improve policy and practice within and beyond GTF.
- Support the development of an urban resilience strategy, providing leadership on urban climate change adaptation;
- Work closely with the Climate Changge Mitigation Officer (CCMO) to ensure that humanitarian responses are climate sensitive and take advantage of adaptation opportunities;
- Support and develop relationships with other agencies, including research institutes, technical working groups, and represent GTF in national, regional, and international fora as required.
- Develop relationships with donors and support the development of new proposals in line with the organizational strategic plan.
- Feeds into international policy discussions related to climate change adaptation and resilience, more broadly.
- A bachelor’s degree in climate change, international development, agriculture, or related field.
- A minimum of three years’ experience working in the area of climate change adaptation in a non-governmental organization, development agency, or the public sector.
- Experience in climate change, environment and development programming
- Experience working with research institutions, including relevant environmental institutions.
- Experience working in integrated, multi-sectoral programs. A specialization in climate smart agriculture, environmental and natural resources programming.
- Experience in livelihoods analysis, field surveys, use of PRA tools, and GIS / mapping software.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong understanding of how agriculture and natural resource management fits within the wider framework of promoting resilience and positive climate change adaptation, particularly in drought-prone contexts.
- Knowledge on National policies in environment, climate change, forestry and energy.
- Experience of supporting country teams to demonstrably improve capacity and achieve greater impact, particularly at scale.
- Understanding of current debates and initiatives in global climate change adaptation discussions, including climate finance.
- Strong understanding and experience working on nutrition-sensitive agriculture interventions and approaches.
- A strong understanding of gender issues in relation to agriculture and livelihoods programs and practical ways to promote gender equality within them;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent verbal and written English skills.
- Environmental Integrity,
Please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to: [email protected]
Related Jobs (12)
Agricultural Technologies and Engineering Supervisor on June 14, 2021 Full Time