AVR Program Intern
- Post Date:May 15, 2021
- Views 481
- Career Level StudentQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Type of Appointment: Internship, 3 months with a possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
CFA Reference Number: CFA2021/004
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of Operations Assistant (Movement), the successful candidate will be assisting with the implementation of a Assisted Voluntary Return (AVR) programme for the sustainable reintegration of returnees and other vulnerable and stranded Zimbabwean migrants returning from abroad.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) focal point in the implementation of all facets of the return and reintegration programme in Zimbabwe, in close coordination with relevant partners and units at IOM Harare;
- Under the guidance of AVRR focal point, provide general counselling and information to project beneficiaries, maintain direct contact with returnees under the program, providing them with updates regarding their reintegration assistance, and ensure that all parts of the programme are being implemented and assistance is provided where needed;
- Provide reception and airport assistance to Zimbabwean nationals returning from abroad;
- Assist migrants with departure formalities at the airport when departing from Zimbabwe;
- Assist in gathering information on country conditions and services available for potential returnees returning to various parts of the country;
- Maintain and update beneficiary files related to business plans and other progress updates both electronically and hard copies;
- Assist in upgrading the programme’s information management system to ensure proper filing and reporting including the implementation of lessons learned which are identified;
- In coordination with returning migrants, assist in developing business proposals, provide business advice, and assess the feasibility of establishing small businesses in Zimbabwe;
- Assist in the preparation of travel plans, conduct monitoring visits and track the progress of returnees who establish small businesses; and submission of reports to supervisors;
- Perform the document verification site visits requested by different embassies as per established guidelines and standard and submit the verification report to the respective embassies in a timely manner;
- Assist in drafting letters of requests for document verification services and prepare cost breakdown and quotations for each document verification based on the different clients’ guidelines;
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
Education, Experience and Competencies
- University degree, preferably in Economics, International Relations, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, International Affairs or any related discipline. or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Basic knowledge of establishing/established businesses within Zimbabwe;
- Experience working with an international organization, UN agency or NGO;
- Experience of liaising with government authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs will be an added value;
- Delivers Return and Reintegration solutions customized to the needs of IOM;
- Anticipates and understands internal and external issues and opportunities that may impact the Return and Reintegration landscape of IOM;
- Adapts best Return and Reintegration practices to the requirements of IOM to Facilitate the achievement of strategic objectives.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Eligibility and Selection
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
- Have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
- Are either students approaching the end of their studies or recently graduated, who have relevant working experience;
- Must have a University Degree.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity – respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency – maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism – demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies ( behavioural indicators):
- Teamwork – develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results;
- Delivering results – produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes;
- Managing and sharing knowledge – continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate;
- Accountability – takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work;
- Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication;
- Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 20 May 2021
Related Jobs (25)
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist on July 22, 2021 Full Time
Investigative Journalism Opportunities for Reporters and Mentors on July 22, 2021 Contract