- Post Date:January 31, 2022
- Views 468
- Career Level OtherQualification DiplomaExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Construction
Job categories: Project Management
Vacancy code: VA/2022/B5329/23208
Department/office: AFR, KEMCO, Zimbabwe
Duty station: Chimanimani, Zimbabwe
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA-6
Duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
1. Background General
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is the operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
2. Position Background
Background Information – Zimbabwe
UNOPS Office in Zimbabwe falls under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi Country Office). Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the KEMC manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of infrastructure, procurement and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and several Island states.
UNOPS manages a range of infrastructure projects in Zimbabwe in different sectors including education, health, agriculture, transport applying different implementation approaches such as labor- based and outsourced designers/contractors but always with direct supervision from UNOPS.
Background Information – Job Specific
There are multiple projects and sections that require an Associate Surveyor and the position is expected to support specific components of the portfolio which varies depending on workload and need for prioritization. UNOPS is looking for Associate Surveyor with specific experience in roads & bridges, irrigation, buildings (vertical infrastructure) and general civil works (including but not limited to heavy earthworks design and construction, land drainage, structural design and construction for water diversion/storage structures, large-scale overhead irrigation systems design and construction).
The Associate Surveyor is responsible for the direct implementation of project objectives. S/he must be able to apply with direction, the duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria, given below.
The incumbent will be based in Chimanimani with regular travel to other districts and will work in close collaboration with the respective Lead Engineer(s), Project Manager(s) and the KEMC Technical Services Unit.
The Associate Surveyor will work under the guidance of the Infrastructure Manager and direct supervision of the Lead Engineer to monitor the work implemented by contractors and by direct implementation. The incumbent is also expected to support and undertake provision of design inputs for project components, participate in gathering/verification of design data as requested by the Lead Engineer.
Under direct supervision and overall guidance of the Lead Engineer and Infrastructure Manager, the Associate Surveyor is required to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
- Conducting preliminary surveys for selected project sites as per project plan; this includes visual survey, photos, map checking and site visits.
- Conducting topographic survey for road, bridge and structures and preparing the topographic survey plan for design purposes.
- Conducting structure assessment surveys and preparing the required structure reports.
- Planning and conducting an engineering survey for the selected road, structures and civil works, including topographic survey and recording all site details.
- Support the Lead Engineer in checking the layout of the structures, e.g. centreline, culverts, bridges, etc.
- Formulate topographic survey for project sites using TOTAL STATION, Geodetic GPS Stations equipment, and monitoring related aspects during and after construction.
- Prepare survey data and survey reports to commence road or structure design.
- Perform setting out works or check contractors’ setting out works at the request of Lead Engineer or as directed.
- With the assistance from the site engineer, conducting the pre- and post-construction survey and ensuring the construction/design is in accordance with the BoQ and project specifications.
- Check and verify ongoing projects quantity calculations at site.
- Responsible for ensuring surveying equipment is in good working order.
- Travel to project sites and supervise contractor survey teams and field work.
- Inspects and reports on Contractor’s works progress ensuring that the Contractor meets the high-quality standards expected by UNOPS.
Core Values and Principles:
Understand and respect UNOPS sustainability principles
- Look for ways to embed UNOPS sustainability principles in day to day project management
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at the workplace
- Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders
Understand and Respect National ownership and capacity
- Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them into the project plans
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff
- Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts
Partnerships and Coordination
- Understand the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and UNOPS, the project’s place in the UN system
- Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners
Accountability for results and the use of resources
- The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the PM to raise the issue to a supervisor
- Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
- Completion of Secondary education with 6 years of experience is required.
- Diploma in Surveying & Geomatics with at least 4 years of experience is an asset and may be accepted in lieu of respective years of experience
- Degree in Surveying & Geomatics, Land Survey, Survey or equivalent is a distinct advantage and may be accepted in lieu of respective years of experience
- At least six (6) years of relevant working experience in roads and bridges construction projects is required.
- Experience working on construction sites in remote rural areas is desirable.
- At least one year experience supervising construction activities is required.
- Experience using Total Station including recording of data and preparation of survey reports is an added advantage.
- Good team player and positive attitude is desired.
- Fluency in written and oral English language is required
Integrity & Inclusion
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same.
- Upholds organizational and ethical norms.
- Maintains high standards of trustworthiness.
- Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first.
- Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal.
- Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas.
- Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them.
- Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment.
- Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements.
- Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior.
- Performance is consistent, even under pressure.
- Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions.
- Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks.
- Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner.
- Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others.
- Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge.
- Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
This position is based in a family duty station.
This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Zimbabwean nationals or persons with valid residence permits.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA
Contract level: Local ICA Support – LICA 6
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.