Assistant Research Associate
- Post Date:May 4, 2022
- Views 509
- Career Level AssistantQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Vacancy Number: Z22134-
Based in: Harare, Zimbabwe
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Assistant Research Associate to be based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records. This position will support on-going research activities in Zimbabwe and collaborating projects in the Southern Africa region as needed. The incumbent will assist through the configuration, analysis, and application of research techniques according to the project assigned to the unit as well as by supervising the duties of support personnel. The incumbent will coordinate the multi stakeholder participatory processes and participatory methods and work with the communities for application of holistic assessment framework in the agroecology living labs of Murehwa and Mbire.
The main responsibilities of this position will be: –
- Assist with the establishment of Agroecological Living Labs in Murehwa and Mbire
- Assist with the application of participatory methods in each Agroecological Living Labs
- Assist with the review of existing evaluation approaches and indicators – focused on measuring economic environmental and social factors
- Assist with the design of assessment framework (including design workshop)
- Test and validate evaluation framework each Agroecological Living Labs
- Lead annual monitoring using the validated evaluation framework
- Analyze monitoring data and assist with modelling
- Lead on-farm experiments starting October 2022
- Collect data from on-farm experiments as per agreed protocols
- Prepare data for analysis and conduct descriptive analysis. Run more complex analyses with supervisor.
- Assist project and CIMMYT management in any other matters as and when required.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- At least a BSc in Agriculture Science with a strong focus on Agronomy. An MSc would be an added advantage
- Familiarity with agricultural and agri-food issues in Zimbabwe and the SADC region.
- At least 5 years’ experience in project implementation (experience in supervising on-farm trials would be an advantage)
- Experience with participatory methods
- Previous work experience at a national or international research center would be an added advantage
- Experience in collating and analyzing on-farm data trials
- Experience in reporting to project teams and funders
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to work with different nationalities, as a member of a diverse work team.
- The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies: Interpersonal skills, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving & Decision making, and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
How to apply
- Complete the online application form https://forms.gle/2KmUKDXrBKf6mpaY7
- Submit your applications to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained and expected remuneration. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 6th May 2022.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.