Agriculture Value Chain Officer
- Post Date:February 10, 2022
- Views 381
- Career Level OfficerQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Agriculture
Job Category: Operations
Requisition Number: AGRIC002329
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing…when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
This program is the Agricultural component of the Anglo American Unki Mine Social Development program. The program will support smallholder farmers in the horticulture, beef, and poultry value chains, establishing market access through contract production in partnership with private sector companies during a three-year program. The market-driven program will support training of over 600 smallholder farmers in agricultural best practices, facilitate construction of farming and processing infrastructure, creating over 1,900 jobs by year 3.
Under the direct supervision of The Agricultural Value Chains Manager, you will:
- Support the AVC Manager to develop systems and procedures, including Quality Management Systems to ensure compliance with international market requirements.
- Implement traceability systems to ensure compliance with international market requirements
- Train Horticulture farmers on quality systems and standards, including pre and post-harvest handling and hygiene, cold chain management, field standards, GLOBALGAP, traceability, health and safety.
- Train cattle farmers on beef cattle traceability and tagging in partnership with private sector company
- Train beef, horticulture and poultry farmers on all aspects of production as directed by the AVC Manager.
- Develop an excellent working relationship with the farmers, farmer groups, AVC Manager, Agritex personnel and all project partner organizations
- Develop and nurture excellent working relations with all horticulture, poultry and beef sector stakeholders in Midlands province (exporters, private sector companies, Agritex, financial institutions and local authorities)
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences or other relevant fields
- 5 years experience in agriculture value chain development in either horticulture, poultry or beef sectors
- Farm administration experience including training and GAP quality standards
- Experience in implementing farm traceability systems
- Ability to develop well written, cohesive analyses and reports
- Computer skills in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at [email protected] or call +1 202 785 4515.