Agriculture Value Chain Coordinator
- Post Date:January 31, 2022
- Views 459
- Career Level CoordinatorQualification DegreeExperience 5-10 Years
- Industry Agriculture
Job Category: Programs
Requisition Number: AGRIC002313
Job Type: Full-Time
Locations: Harare, SF, ZWE
Travel Required: Yes
This program is the Agricultural component of the Anglo American Unki Mine Social Development program. The program will support smallholder farmers in the horticulture, beef, and poultry value chains, establishing market access through contract production in partnership with private sector companies during a three-year program. The market-driven program will support training of over 600 smallholder farmers in agricultural best practices, facilitate construction of farming and processing infrastructure, creating over 1,900 jobs by year 3.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of The Agricultural Value Chains Manager, the AVC Coordinator will:
Farm Production Management
- Support the implementation of the Whole Farm Management Approach for all the value chains including crops and livestock. Organize groups into Farming Business Units in liaison with the Trust Resource.
- Identify best irrigation schemes and farmers to partner, with the aim of organizing farmers to work in groups rather than individuals
- Execute the planting program on schedule
- Provide Agronomy support to the farmers
- Report on farm budgets, focusing on plans vs actuals
- Support the Program Manager to develop systems and procedures, including Quality Management Systems to ensure compliance with international market requirements.
- Implement traceability systems to ensure compliance with international market requirements
- Train Horticulture farmers on quality systems and standards, including pre and post-harvest handling and hygiene, cold chain management, field standards, GLOBALGAP, traceability, health and safety.
- Train cattle farmers on beef cattle traceability and tagging in partnership with private sector company
- Train beef, horticulture and poultry farmers on all aspects of production as directed by the AVC Manager.
- Develop an excellent working relationship with the farmers, farmer groups, AVC Manager, Agritex personnel and all project partner organizations
- Develop and nurture excellent working relations with all horticulture, poultry and beef sector stakeholders in Midlands province (exporters, private sector companies, Agritex, financial institutions and local authorities)
Packhouse Management Support
- Support the Program Manager to set up systems and infrastructure for the packhouse, mainly through logistical support
- Support the MEL Advisor with the technical inputs into different reports thus quarterly Donor reports and monthly Stakeholder reports (RDCs)
- Support the MEL Advisor to capture lesson learnt and stories of change.
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences or other relevant fields
- Farm administration experience including training and GAP quality standards
- Experience in implementing farm traceability systems
- Computer skills in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to develop well written, cohesive analyses and reports
- Strong communication skills to support effective work with stakeholders
Travel Required: Yes. Up to 10% local
- Agriculture – Expert
- Supply Chain & Value Chain – Advanced
- Bachelors or better in Other or related field.
- 5 years: At least 5 years working experience in agriculture value chain development in either horticulture, poultry or beef sectors